Sonus Faber vs Wilson

I currently own a pair of absolutely gorgeous Serafino Tradition speakers. They are about 3 months old and I’ve finally got them positioned nicely in my room. They are being driven by a Gryphon Diablo 300. Great soundstage and imaging even off access. Tremendous detail and I just love the way the speakers look. I must add that it’s really important to me how all this stuff looks in my home. I love the tight fast and nuanced delivery of the Gryphon but not loving the way it looks…alas..that sound made the decision for me and I’ve hidden it away so my wife doesn’t have a coronary.

So….this brings me to my newest quandary. My local dealer has a gorgeous dedicated listening room in the lovely Biltmore hotel just minutes from my home. (Very dangerous…!) There are a pair of Wilson Sasha DAW speakers that sound…well…that sound like the best speakers I’ve heard. I absolutely HATE the way they look…and I would dread getting them up the three front steps of my home…but that sound….

Do I keep the lovely sounding and gorgeous looking Serafino’s or swap them for the ugliest best sounding speakers I’ve ever heard.? 
(There is an $18k price difference so there’s that too…!)
128x128jomonhifi
Years ago I installed an expensive system in a customers house - not an audio system.  i went over all the details and exactly what he could expect.  everything went well until about 2 months later he called me and said that he needs to move one of the units that went on his roof.  Apparently, from just the right angle in the kitchen if you looked up through the skylite you could see a small portion of the equipment.  I told him we put it was exactly as described and that it would involve crane work and multiple trades to move it even a foot. He fully understood and expected to pay. I still remember his response: " it's cheaper than probate"  so is it cheaper than probate?
My wife and I also auditioned speakers at the OP dealer's showroom at the Biltmore earlier this year.  My wife is an experienced classical musician -- a soloist who has performed with some of the world's greatest orchestras, has made numerous recordings, and is intimately familiar with the acoustics of live music, and with recording studios.  

We heard Sonus fabers, Focals, and Wilsons, all with quality sources (DCS) preamp, and amps.  

My wife hated the Wilsons, finding them utterly artificial.  We wound up purchasing Sonus fabers, though from a different dealer.

I have to wonder whether audiophiles who prefer the Wilson sound are actually deeply familiar with the sound of live, unamplified classical or jazz music.  When you spend years performing and/or listening to live, unamplified music of some complexity and richness, speakers like the Wilsons we heard don't make a good impression.  They don't sound natural, organic, or musical -- they sound "hi-fi."

I realize there are many passionate adherents of Wilson speakers, and I'm not attempting to offend.  I love rock as well as classical, and I can understand how Wilsons, and perhaps similar speakers, can do a good job with music that is amplified and was not created primarily for live performance.  

I've run into a similar phenomenon in shopping for a new car recently -- many of the optional audio systems seem designed or optimized for rock or rap music, and perform poorly with classical music, particularly orchestral and operatic.
Well, GG107, I’d say your wife’s opinion only shows that the tastes (and ears) of musicians are as varied as they are for everyone else. There are certainly plenty of musicians who have a different opinion about Wilson speakers and find them to be wonderful. As an amateur musician myself, I also know that the perception of the music is very different from the stage, and behind your own instrument, than it is from several rows out in the audience. Which is one of the reasons I often ask friends to play the Flamenco guitar I had built by a Luthier several years ago - it sounds very different from across the room than it does when I’m playing it.

I’d also point out that Peter McGrath of Wilson audio is a highly respected recording engineer (including of Classical music), and certainly doesn’t share your wife’s opinion.

Your wife’s opinion is certainly valid - for her and perhaps you. But to suggest that those of us that don’t share that opinion are unfamiliar with the sound of live performances is, in fact, rather offensive. It’s simply a matter of different tastes.
I understand the appeal of Wilson. I have heard them over decades and still have the WAMM audition etched in my mind. The holographic imagery. I was overwhelmed and appreciated the sound, but at the same time, said that is not the sound I want to live with. It is wonderful and if I could have three fantastic systems, one would be Wilson based.

About ten years ago I got season tickets to the symphony, 7th row center now and subconsciously started moving from my mainstay of ribbon speakers to Sonus, then up the Sonus line. Currently Sonus Amati Traditional. I don’t think my migration to Sonus was unconnected to having constant exposure to live acoustical concerts. I found that instead of optimizing one kind of music at the expense of others, all improved as I moved to Sonus and up to higher levels of their products. I have nothing bad to say about Wilson, they are fantastic speakers. But for me with the right electronics Sonus better gets the gestalt right and true musical nature of the music they are reproducing. To me.
Post removed