Solid State Low powered Amplifiers

My quest is to find a SS low powered amplifier to use in the Summer months, in place of Tube and Class A amplification … I have Klipsch Cornwall 4s and limited AC in my hot TN listening room for 4-5 months. I know it will be hard to match the sound I get from tube and Class A …on a solid-state amp and I am wondering if I’m looking in the right place for a “10 W per channel” solid-state amplifier which I don’t even know if they make. The Cornwall speakers are 102 DB sensitivity.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmoose89

Yesterday I received a cool response from Derek, maker of Flea Audio, when I asked him WHY his amplifier sounds better than a tube amp: 

Years of experimentation with the parts “recipe” for my amps is a large part of why they sound good.  All of the parts matter.   

Thousands of dollars have been spent over many years trying different parts to get the best sound.   Different transformers, power supply boards, capacitors, rectifiers, wire, connectors, etc.  All have been extensively experimented with.  Through years of listening tests and refinements, the recipe you have is the result.   

None were ever built to just make money, as building them for others has been a hobby for me.  The constant refinements were an attempt to take my own system to the next level and achieve sound superior to the tube amps I owned.  

Glad you’re enjoying the sound!

Derek

Furthermore, just yesterday I was able to receive a purchase of my new used SMSL CLASS A VMV A1…tremendous midrange vocals, resounding bass, impressive (10) WPC, and not much temperature surprisingly, as YouTube reviews say, my first listening to Class A… I think this should close the book on my search. Thanks to all. I’m happy in a way that my studio has been influenced by seasonal temperatures! (Not that us audiophile-aholics need MORE rationalizing to make further purchases). I have actually stacked the tiny A1 on top of the Flea Audio, and the small amp’s  footprinst on the top of my cabinet lends compatibility to the experience, just swapping power, RCA’s, and speaker plugs, according to temps outside and maybe genre of music. I may be tempted to sell my Dennis Had Inspire 300B, if any of you are interested please inquire. Once again, a great thread, and you guys deserve all the credit!

I’ve owned several Fleawatts over the years and have loved them all.  I was surprised several years ago to hear Derek say that several of his friends traded in their 300B & 2a3 amps for Fleawatts and never looked back.  

A few months later I was listening to a 6B4G SE amp and had a hard time distinguishing it from a Fleawatt. After that, I simply could not justify running the tube SE amp.

This SMSL VMV A1 is interesting. It was compared favorably to the Pass Class A amps, at 1/4 the price.
As my listening remained easy, and never fatigued… I thought it was making whatever Klipsch upper range sound notables sound more like a JBL Monitor sound. However, as time passed a couple hours, I needed to turn volume DOWN from a front panel reading of a firm “20”, to “8-10”! Openness to the soundstage had become apparent but more-so a tubey transition and transference to the midrange… with impeccable smooth vocals with a very satisfying bass, like none other. Very interesting. The amp temp remained only as warm as an LED 60W replacement bulb!