So I just bought a Hegel H390 and

I am building a new system and I just bought a H-390.  It should arrive by the end of the week.  I want to get new to me speakers to go with it. So if you’ve have or have had a Hegel H-390 or a H-590,  what speakers under $10.000 sounded the best.  And I guess I should probably get some wires also.  Nothing crazy, but not zip cord.

Thanks.

JD
128x128curiousjim

Showing 19 responses by curiousjim

The new system is going to go in one of two rooms.  The first is carpeted, 15’x15’.  The second is a carpeted, 15’6”x20’ with five doorways, one of which is 9’, and one is 6’. There is two doorways and a “pass through” on what will be the back wall. 
I hope this helps.

JD
electrokardiogram,

I do have a store in my area that sells KEF and I’ve been trying to get an appointment with them for a couple of months now!  
I’ll give them a call again tomorrow.  Maybe they’ve had a cancellation.

Thanks 

JD
troidelover,

Everything I read or heard said the amp was neutral to slightly warm sounding.  So I’m hoping to find some speakers that are neutral to slightly warm sounding as well. 
All the best

JD
Hey jjss49,

I want the sound of the speakers to be the same as the amp so the sound would be as close to neutral.  I don’t  want a speaker that will color the sound one way or the other, but if they do, I’d want the speakers to be a taste on the warm side and not the cold side.

Does that make sense?  Hope so.

JD
Thank you everyone!

You all have given me some good ideas on speakers I should try to audition.

JD
With the limited number stores around me, hearing most of the speakers discussed will be really hard to do, so I’m thinking I’ll get a pair of LS-50 Meta’s, as several have suggested and go from there.  Everything I’ve heard and read says even if I don’t like them, they should be pretty easy to resell.
Again,  thank you all for your suggestions.

JD
Thanks jj,

This is why I was asking about speakers.  I don’t want to add a warm amp to a warm speaker.  So the amp should be here today and then I’m hopefully going to listen to Dynaudio, Focal and? 
JD
Hi audiofool1,

The reviews on those sound great and they are in my price range, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to audition them in a timely manner.

My loss.

JD
So if all goes well, I should be able to hear Dynaudio, Golden Ear, Focal, PSB and Audio Vector.  
This will  be a great day.

JD
mocean,

Thank you for all the information.  Very few of the brands everyone has mentioned I’ll be able to listen to around here, but I have listened to a couple of Dynaudio and one Chario.  I’m still hoping to hear the Goldenear’s you mentioned as well as Focal.  The only Focal dealer in the area isn’t a dealer anymore and never took it off their website, so I still haven’t heard them yet.

All the best.

JD

norton,

I’m sad to say no I haven’t bought speakers yet, but I am narrowing it down slowly to the KEF, Reference one’s or Reference three’s or the Dynaudio, Confidence 20’s or the Contour 60i’s, I think.

I mentioned Totem to my wife and while she liked the “Pretty Colors”,  she thought they were way to big.
So the decision has been made.

I just ordered a pair of KEF Reference 5’s. I finally got to hear the 3’s and they made me smile at louder levels, but most of my listening is at or below 65db, so I went with the extra set of woofers for a little more base at lower levels.
I’ll let you all know when I get them and as they break in.

JD
So I finally did it.  I bought a pair of KEF Reference 5’s!
 I spent a bit more than I was originally planning on spending, but the deed is done and they have just been delivered. 
So let the listening begin.

JD
Thanks Doug,

Right out of the box they sound really good.  I’m going to have to put up acoustics behind them, and futz with them for a while, but I’m sure the sound will only get better.
Oh, and as far as cables, I got a pair of AQ Rocket 88’s. I can’t give a report on them yet because they, like the speakers are only three hours old.

All the best.

JD
So I went with a pair of KEF Reference 5’s. So far I’m liking them.  I will give them another 100 hours before I give the another good listening session.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

JD
I very briefly thought about a pair of X-3’s. I had some open back speakers in the 80’s-90’s but without hearing the X3’s, I went for the KEF. Thst I was able to listen to with a Hegel Integrated Amplifier.

All the best.

100 hour update on the KEF Reference 5's.

The high end hasn't changed much and that's a good thing.

The upper midrange has settled down and that's a very good thing.

The bass has improved the most, Tight and clean. No need for a subwoofer here.

I'm definitely a happy listener.

JD

yy,

I was starting to think that I might have made a mistake with this pairing, but not any more! The H390 is a bit warmer than the H360 and maybe the Blades weren't broken in.  But either way, the system really has changed for the better in about six weeks.

All the best.

JD