SME 309 or SME 3009r?

I have both arms. My turntable is an Avid Sequel. My cartridge is a Benz LP. I want to rewire one of the arms, but don't know which would sound best. I currently have the 309 on the table so I know how that one performs. I've had the 3009r for quite sometime just sitting on a shelf. It's in terrific shape and the person who gave it to me, and has since passed away, thought it would outperform the 309. Does anyone have an informed opinion? Thanks.

128x128neptune123

Showing 2 responses by lewm

pesky, I did not specifically ask for your comment on the comparison between Technics B500 and SME 3009.  I too have heard only one and not the other.  But "on paper" does count for something.  (B500 has superior bearings, if they are intact, a more advanced VTA adjustment method, and a more sophisticated anti-skate device.) Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone had actually heard both. As to the 3009R, what about the 3009/2 or /II? Is that version different from the 3009R? Again, according only to internet reading the 3009/2 is generally thought to be superior to the base model.  I wouldn't argue for a minute that there is no substitute for direct experience, but when many listeners make similar comments on a particular audio component, it begins to add up to a significant factor to be considered by anyone making a purchase.

pgtaylor wrote, "each SME arm is an individual hand-assembled product and no two samples sound exactly alike."  If true, that is not a virtue.

I was recently consulted privately by someone who had a choice between a Technics B500 with two arm wands, one each for high and low compliance cartridges and with good bearings, and a 3009.  I advised for the former of those two choices, but the person who asked opted for the 3009, based on a recommendation from his "dealer".  To me, this seemed to be bad advice and suggested that the dealer was probably the seller of the 3009.  Then I thought maybe there is something great about a 3009 that escapes me; I never owned one.  Was I wrong?