Small footprint subwoofer

I am in the process in replacing my current sub for a smaller one. I dont want overwhelming bass that will effect the music. Just articulate, musical bass that will be easy to integrate seamlessly. At the moment, I am about to get a REL R218 to replace a Hsu STF-2. Keep in mind this is in a very small room(10x10x8) so for the reason of getting a small sub. If all goes well, I might consider getting another REL with the same model if available and go stereo pair. What are your thoughts?

Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

A couple of thoughts on this since small rooms are tough with subs.

Most importantly, sub placement in a small room is critical.  Be careful about putting a sub(s) too close to a corner.  Two subs will be better to cancel out the nodes.

The JL audio Fathom subs have a very small footprint and have an excellent built in DSP that will help with nodes/modes

An external DSP to eq the subs may be very handy in the small room since there is so little room and you may have to sit in a null or mode.

Good luck!

m-db  If you are referring the subwoofer crawl, I could have done that which can be a way to find the node but I found a much easier time saving way to find room problem. I personally use Rational Acoustics DIv2 software for this. Is pretty much a complex measurement software I use for other purpose which I happen to have available. It is pricey but very valuable tool. Of course your ears is the main tool. 

Since the SVS 3,000 Micro was the only sub I could find that would fit under my modified, antique buffet stereo cabinet I got one (to go with my corner horns).

It improved the sound so much I added another across the room, hard-wired.

My room is not that large and they’ve really boosted the SQ.

A small REL, and not a pair, will be enough. If you need to locate it away from your other components, get the Arrow wireless connection. T5x or Tzero Mk III should be enough. Alterntively, the KEF Kube 8 MIE or KC62 might work. The KC62 would be the most expensive of the lot.

highend64

A small REL or Sunfire subwoofer will be enough. Keep me posted on your purchase decision.

Happy Listening!