Six DAC Comparison

I am in the middle of comparing the sound of six different DACs in my system. I own them all (I know weird) but one of them is still within a trial/return timeframe.

Not to share specific comparisons today, but a couple of observations so far are that first, they all definitely sound different from each other. On one hand, they all sound pretty good and play what is fed to them without significant flaws but on the other hand there are definite sonic differences that make it easy to understand how a person might like the sound of some of them while not liking others.

Second, raises the observation that most of them must be doing something to shape the sound in the manner the designer intended since one of the DACs, a Benchmark DAC3 HGA, was described by John Atkinson of Stereophile as providing "state-of-the-art measured performance." In the review, JA closed the measurements section by writing, "All I can say is "Wow!" I have also owned the Tambaqui (not in my current comparison), which also measured well ("The Mola Mola Tambaqui offers state-of-the-digital-art measured performance." - JA). The Benchmark reminds me sonically of the Tambaqui, both of which are excellent sounding DACs.

My point is that if the Benchmark is providing "state-of-the-art measured performance," then one could reasonably presume that the other five DACs, which sound different from the Benchmark, do not share similar ’state-of-the-art" measurements and are doing something to subtly or not so subtly alter the sound. Whether a person likes what they hear is a different issue.

mitch2

@stuartk I wouldn’t rule it out based upon that. It’s something I enjoy fussing with. Read the reviews. They are based on the stock tubes. And it is unlikely you will ever have to replace the tubes.

@markmuse - I wouldn’t rule out the Aero based on my impressions, which were mostly positive. Also, remember there is a 14-day trial period.

I will try and get my hands on a Mystique Y, which would help provide a bit of contrast at the $4K price point. The other ones I would like to hear and haven’t are the Holo May KTE and Terminator 15th, but I am not buying more DACs.

BTW, starting with the Merason comparisons, I have been using the Decibel X app to match SPLs the best I can. I realized these DACs all have different output voltages and different presentation styles so getting the SPLs close for comparisons will be helpful.

@markmuse

Exactly. You enjoy fussing. I do not. Each to his own smiley

@mitch2

A return option is definitely important to me. Tonality is more important.

@mitch2 It would be greatly informative and appreciated if you could somehow procure a Musetec MH-DA006 for comparative review. I know you're aware of it and admiring of the technology. Problem is so many unaware of it. I recently purchased and compared to my previous reference, Musetec 005, also recently purchased Laiv Harmony. So, in my comparisons of these three dacs I found 006 simply plays on a different level, a level of resolution/transparency the others can't compete with. In my mind this plays at a level of Mola Mola Tambaqui which I will procure in due time.

In any case, would be informative as how this much technology at this relatively ridiculous low price would compare to dacs you have on hand. I'd suggest with a fairly high degree of certainty the 006 would do quite well. Now, I would add, perhaps this exact presentation may not be everyone's cup of tea, being I own the Harmony and very much appreciate the unique R2R NOS presentation.