Sim W-5 vs Pass X250 / X350 with Dyn C-4

Has anyone used a Pass Labs X250 or X350 with the Confidence series of Dynaudio speakers?

I currently have a Simaudio W-5 driving my C4's. On occasion with 2-channel music, where I run the speakers full range, it seems to possibly run just a tad short of punch and I was considering a more powerful amplifier and was looking at the Pass Lab X250 or X350. For movies I have never noticed any shortness of punch, but for movies I run the C-4's crossed over at 40 Hz and the lower end routed to the sub.

I would love to move to the Simaudio W-8 or a pair of W-6, but the cost, even for a used unit, is beyond what I want to pay.

The thing I like is the Simaudio W-5 mates well with my Simaudio Titan that is driving the center speaker (Confidence Center) for movies and I might not get that match with a Pass Labs unit. It also drives the surrounds and rears.

Any thoughts or experience on the mattter would be beneficial to my decision.

Current System:
Preamp/processor - Anthem Statement D2v
CD Player - Arcam CD192
DVD Player - Denon 5900
Preamp/Amp Interconnects - Balanced - Canare
Speaker Wire - Kimber 8TC for fronts
cyclonemike
Before you trade out your amp you might want to try differant interconnects. In the past I felt the Canare cable to be on the lean side and restricked the bottom end.
It did great things with the mids to treble but not the bass.
i think a tube preamp/Krell amp would be match in heaven for C4s and i wanted to do exactly that (Cary 05/Krell 400cx) with my C1s.

in the end i didn't want to spend the dough, so i use a BAT integrated, which is remarkably synergistic.
Comparison – Simaudio W-5 versus Pass Labs X350 with Dynaudio C-4:

I switched out my W-5 with a Pass Labs X350 last night - I actually switched back and forth for a while. After a few hours of listening to music (CD and SACD stereo) I can make the following comparisons:

My listening was done at both moderate and higher levels. I do not know how many dB’s I was cranking at the high levels, but it was not insignificant.

The X350 throws a larger soundstage, but the imaging is not as precise as the W-5.

The X350 wins the war on the lower end bass and control. The bottom end was significantly fuller and more defined with the X350.

The W-5 wins the contest for the midrange. The midrange on the W-5 is much warmer and “sweeter”. The midrange on the X350 is very precise and almost analytical – somewhat “dry”.

The top end highs were the closest of all. The X350 might be just slightly “rolled off” as compared to the W-5, but it also seemed more precise.

All-in-all I would call the X-350 provided a fuller and dynamic, but somewhat dryer, presentation over the entire range. The W-5 has the best midrange and vocal presentation.

One good example I can give is in the Diana Krall song “Peel Me a Grape”. The presentation of the vocals with the X350 was more forward. The vocals on the W-5 were more laid back into the soundstage and smoother. However, the presentation of the string bass with the W-5 seemed to be a little “plunk” in the background. With the X350 when the string bass hits at the start of the song I could hear it as well as feel it.

Having been to one of her concerts in a pretty intimate setting I can tell you that the bass does have the impact of the X350 and she presents the vocals more laid back than in your face.

As indicated above, the Pass X350.5 might give me the best of both worlds, and maybe a higher powered Simaudio (W-7 or W-8) might give me the bass impact of the X350 with the sweetness of the Simaudio midrange.

Which will I keep……………probably the X350, but I have to try them out with movies first over the weekend.
i think the .5 series is a monumental improvement over the other. you with get the detail and bass impact that you are seeking.

the older X series is pretty soft, i agree
is the .5 series a bit warmer or easier on the ears? It seems there have been a lot of comments about the older series being a bit dry. I have the W-3 and I do not find this the case at all, but I have a warm pre and forgiving speakers. I also like the sense of depth, soundstage and air it presents in my system compared to other more expensive amps that I have. Anyone heard the Evolution Series?