Signal tube versus power tube, sound impact?

My mono block has eight KT 88 tubes(power tubes) and six smaller signal tubes. I'm using the stock tubes that came with each Mono. I think they are JJ tubes.

Rather than replace them all would it be best to change out the signal or the power tubes? Not sure how good the JJ tubes are but I hear they may not be the greatest.

emergingsoul
Post removed 

Djohn….
My comments relative to tube types would be the same with either gain (12AX7 or 12AT7) 

if you need more info pertaining to the Herron, let’s start a new thread or move to PM and keep this thread on topic.

Back to the original topic…..

OP - I’m definitely in the camp the that the driver (signal tubes) have a larger sonic imprint. Where there is budget and availability, NOS from the big makers from the 40’s to 60s were vastly superior to the modern stuff. The only time that’s not entirely true is with 300b. Today’s EML and the like are outstanding.

I don’t know why manufacturers of expensive tube amplifiers don’t provide better tubes in their equipment. Lots of people form opinions about amplifiers and if these amplifiers came with better tubes peoples impressions would be a lot better.

I think they are shooting themselves in the feet when they put JJ tubes, which consensus seems to say are lower quality, into their tube amplifiers. Hardly a way to provide a product to a customer especially when they’re so expensive.

Amp manufacturers know that people are going to roll tubes anyway - it's part of the charm -  so why not let them do that for themselves.