Signal tube versus power tube, sound impact?

My mono block has eight KT 88 tubes(power tubes) and six smaller signal tubes. I'm using the stock tubes that came with each Mono. I think they are JJ tubes.

Rather than replace them all would it be best to change out the signal or the power tubes? Not sure how good the JJ tubes are but I hear they may not be the greatest.

emergingsoul

Seems to me the preamplifier tubes Carry the most weight when dealing with the sonic signature.

This has been my experience, except in the case where the tubes in my amp were getting worn out & tired.

Shirley you must know that this flies against common wisdom that pairs tube preamps with solid state power amps. 

@mambacfa  , I cannot find the post in which Shirley weighed in on this one. 

I’m giving the new Apos Ray 12AU7 tubes a spin in my BHK pre and I am quite impressed so far.

https://apos.audio/products/apos-ray-tube-12au7 36

Apos / Ray are cagey about their provenance (China, most likely) and they claim to only accept the top 4% of production, whatever that means.

At $180 per matched pair, they are priced near the top of new production tubes (e.g., Gold Lion), but much cheaper than almost any worthy NOS 12AU7s, and believe me, I have a ton of them in my stash.

WIth 100+ hours on them, they are quite impressive compared to the NOS Ciftes that preceded them, which were smooth and inviting, a bit on the warm side and not particularly incisive.

The Ray tubes are a different animal altogether–big, dynamic and quite detailed without any hardness or edge. They throw a huge soundstage, with powerful, yet tight and textured bass.

Worth a try…

Post removed 

@djohn - I have a Herron as well. Much depends on the system synergy. Picking good quality NOS tubes from knowledgable folks like Andy’s Vintage tube service, Brent Jesse and the like - who can match really quiet samples will pay dividends. Myself I’ve got a quad of 60’s Telefunken 12AX7 because of the low output MC cartridges I use. The 5th tube is always a 12AT7 type, and using a premium E81cc, or a ECC801S also produces sonic dividends. (I have a 801) Brent Jesse’s web site has a good generic description of the sonic signatures between the vintage tube makers. (Mullard, Amerex, RCA, Telefunken ect.) For me, if I was to change anything, I’d swap Telefunken 12AX7 with Amperex for a little more mid range warmth. Again it’s about system synergy and your budget. All the best on your quest!