Should Amps be plugged into a power conditioner?

Greetings,

After reading about the amplifier hum, it was mentioned that some knowledgeable people say NOT to plug an amp into a power conditioner. Plug it directly into a wall outlet. Thankfully, I do not have a hum issue, but am curious as to what others say about where to plug your amp into. 

Thank you!

jgjg123

Interesting. My 1974 Accuphase M-60 monoblocs specifically state "pug directly into a wall outlet". The Accuphase hardware has built in surge protection and power conditioning. Power surges, which have occurred here, and are likely more often with the Shakey California power grid, I would hope most if not all new high-end hardware has built in surge protection.

The issue I do have is RT speaker hum from my 1968 Sansui 3000A. This unit has been rebuilt and initially did not have any hum, but at first it was not into a battery backup surge protector as it is now. I have not read in the Sansui manual where the Sansui is similarly protected as is the Accuphase hardware. Later today the Sansui goes directly into a wall outlet, the other stuff will remain attached to the battery backup, will see what happens... or is it a bad resistor?

With a correctly designed power conditioner like a transformer based unit, which actually takes you off the grid, you are much better off plugging your amplifiers into the power conditioner.. This type of power conditioner does not limit dynamics at all, as long as you get the proper size transformer for your system. As a dealer, we have tried many power conditioners, but the ones that we sell are very effective.

That being said, if you live in the middle of nowhere, and have no electrical noise on your line, you can get very nice sound by plugging your amplifiers directly into the wall.

Of course you can and should use a power conditioner but it does depend on which one. I can recommend the Audience power conditioners or at a less expensive price the Puritan PSM156. Which does DC removal as well.

The main reason I don't think amps should ever be plugged into a power conditioner is that I enjoy having them repaired after lightning strikes.

Packing up my 60 to 150 lb. beast, putting in the car, paying for shipping, waiting on the techs to diagnose and get me a repair estimate is something I really look forward to.

I especially look forward to getting a temporary amp, hauling it into my rack or it's place on the floor and then removing it and replacing it with the repaired unit.

Putting the repaired unit back into my rack makes me feel like I just got a brand new amplifier, and yet I only paid half that in repair and shipping bills!!

A total win in terms of money and effort for me.

The main reason I don't think amps should ever be plugged into a power conditioner is that I enjoy having them repaired after lightning strikes.

@erik_squires  , are you making a case for surge protection or for power conditioners?