SET Lovers, what's the one solid state amp you love(d)?

I'm thinking of trying out a solid state amp in place of my 300B SET, which is giving me some problems again and the builder is swamped so it's going to be awhile.

Suggestions? Speakers are 96dB 12" 2-way bass reflex studio monitors from a Japanese recording studio.

dhcod

I was amplifying the mids and highs of my triamplified DIY horn speakers with Cary Audio 2a3 SET monoblocks then I bought a pair of First Watt F3 single ended, single gain stage, class A stereo amps with VFET output transistors to replace the SET Carys after one of them caught fire.  That was years ago, and I have never regretted the change.  They sound excellent.

I am yet to hear a Class D amp that does not sound rhythmically and musically disjointed.If anything the newer Purifi ones sound worse in that regard than the Hypex.Everything else might be better but if you listen to rhythmically intricate music played by good musicians you will hear how peculiar they sound.A lot of people seem not to notice that but it does not mean it is OK.My guess is if you have no sense of rhythm and are a poor dancer then Class D might be fine for you!

Of course a lot of SETS are weak in that area too-although they tend to sound more slow/plodding than disjointed.My Almarro 318B was pretty good in that area but I have used some that were pretty terrible-an Audio Note Kit 1 300B and Consonance Cyber 845 monoblocks for example.

I am yet to hear a Class D amp that does not sound rhythmically and musically disjointed

Low distortion is the exact opposite of “disjointed”. Go figure!

Who is right a guy or what others hear as good with numbers to back it up?

I have 4 different Class D amps in 4 different rooms ranging from last gen Icepower  to TI chip to modern Hypex.   Non sound disjointed.  All sound very good.  The Hypex is the bees knees especially with quality speakers.  I have to roll my eyes when someone tells me that does not sound simply spectacular.  Can only assume they are missing something but as always YMMV.