SET Lovers, what's the one solid state amp you love(d)?

I'm thinking of trying out a solid state amp in place of my 300B SET, which is giving me some problems again and the builder is swamped so it's going to be awhile.

Suggestions? Speakers are 96dB 12" 2-way bass reflex studio monitors from a Japanese recording studio.

dhcod

“It’s almost like we all have different physiology and hear differently...”
@dhcod

Exactly! And not to mention the most critical piece of the equation, the synergy between the amp and speakers. I can name atleast dozen amps (both SS and SET) that did not worked out with my 96dB Tannoy Canterbury’s

I have 3 Bedini amps including a 25/25. Other amps come and go but never the Bedini’s. The 25/25 recommendation is a good one when you have a high sensitivity speaker. The 25/25 is the smoothest and most tubelike of the Bedini’s. I’m looking at picking up Pass Labs XA25 as I’m told they sound similar but the Pass has more power. After reading the above I might try a First Watt instead.

+1 Pass Labs. In my case I have a SET 572-11 , a Decware ZMA and  Wyetech 300 B mono blocks. All sound great and my Pass Labs XA 30.8 absolutely holds its own among the three tube amps. It’s a great luxury and privilege to have a Solid State amp of such high quality a long with three terrific tube amps.

I agree about the synergy between components, I think everything in the signal path makes a difference. The 25 ohm resistor I have shunted on both low and high frequency terminals, (Cornwall's) and the tinned copper wire from Duelund have made a huge difference in my love for this amp. I originally tried the 10 ohm resistors at Nelson's suggestion, but decided that was a little much and settled on 25 ohm.

I think with any amp you have to experiment with power cords, speaker wire, interconnects, 6922 tubes (Dodd) and in my case resistors to get the very best out of your amplifier. The SIT-3 is known to sound its best pushing a 4 ohm load.

My guess is that there are a lot of people that decide to try a new amp but never  make the correct adjustments to make it sound its best. They never allow their forever amp a chance to shine, before they sell it someone else.

If you blinded folded audiophile friends that visit, they'd think they were listening to tubes.

ps. The Supratek preamp, and First Watt SIT 3 should wonderful together also.