sellers trying to sell used product for 10-20% off of list price

I don’t get it. Almost any item here can be bought brand new from a dealer with a full warranty for 20% off - virtually any and all high end product. Some can be bought for close to 30% percent off. Sellers trying to sell year old product for 20% off are delusional, perhaps hoping for someone to naively buy it at their price but I doubt it happens. If the product isn’t in the range of 40-50% off of MSRP I'm not sure why anyone would buy it as often the warranty doesn’t transfer. Factor in sellers asking for 5-6% extra for Paypal plus shipping charges and even a 30% percent discount really is more like 15% off of list- a non starter. Am I the only one doing this math  ?  I can buy brand new at 25-30% with no extra charge for using paypal or my credit card and minimal shipping. Asking for a friend lol.
128x128cowan217

Showing 6 responses by cowan217

I dont need to name specific dealers; discounts are prevalent at many dealers, all you need to do is ask when you decide on a product, almost all will work with you...
Not really, and congrats on an amazing sense of smell too but you're wrong.  I used to run a nine store high end audio chain in the northeast for 8 years and know the business well; including margins, demo pricing, B stock deals from the manufacturers etc.

My comments were about sellers asking unreasonable or uninformed prices for their product that a buyer can buy brand new for similar money. Asking ten percent off of list price for a product that anyone can buy brand new for 10-15% off of list  makes no sense. Most high end product can be bought at a discount just by asking- not being a "grinder" or being obnoxious. Most dealers will work with a serious buyer and put a deal together. I guess you don't. Thanks for sniffing me out though lol.
Hmm...you never heard of Harvey Electronics, Meyer Emco, Pc Richard, The Wiz, Sam Goody ? There’s another handful too...
Glupson- do you want my resume or Linkedin profile, my marriage records, bank accounts, tax statements? lol- 

facten
1,101 posts

Sure, Reno Hi fi in Nevada- great to buy from, pleasant, easy to deal with. Sells Pass brand new at healthy discounts. Several NYC dealers do the same with high end brands. Several in Delaware. A couple in Chicago I've bought Focal and REL from, brand new, authorized dealers. Pretty common, all easy to work with...