Seeking wisdom - high efficiency, low- to mid-db, music-first speakers

Hey folks - I've seen some recent posts (even one from a couple of days ago) asking for help with small room, low volume, high efficiency speakers, and hoping to broaden the discussion.

I'm trying to nail down a new speaker purchase and have dug myself a hole that I'm dying to get out of. It's hard to find time to demo some stuff and I know it would give me a bit of clarity, but I also know it wouldn't be that easy to drive all over the state of California.

I'm looking for a set of bookshelf/stand mounts for living room hi-fi music listening. Requirements are a passive speaker pair, good at low- to mid-level volumes, relatively neutral sound, no sub needed out of the box, and a budget between $500-2500.

I live in an apartment and listen at reasonable levels, consistently between 50-65 db. Living room is ~15' x 15' (then open another 12' into the kitchen) and I'm listening on my couch at a 9-10' distance. My current (old as hell) powered desktop speakers I'm using in the interim are 4' apart but I'll be able to separate up to 7-8'. They're small, but I'm loving even the entry-level separation and sound stage, and excited to fill my area with more across the mid-range and low-end.

I've resurrected my vinyl collection thanks to a new Pro-Ject Debut PRO, and stream via Spotify and Sonos to the rest of the house pretty much all day long. I use a Sonos Port as a makeshift DAC/passive streaming source for now, with hopes to upgrade to a proper Qobuz-enabled DAC/streamer eventually. I have a Schiit Mani 2 serving as the phono preamp, with plans to settle on a preamp and amp once the speakers are set (leaning toward a Schiit Saga+ and some sort of Class D or B amp with efficiency as the priority there).

I absolutely love the look of the Buchardt S400 Mk II and Revival Atalante 3. They're at the tip top of budget, but my bigger concern is they'll be too much for the space I'm in. I also like the look of the Wharfedale Denton and Linton, but again, is that too much speaker for the space?

I'm also looking closely at the KEF Q350, Dynaudio Evoke 20, and now the Triangle Comete EZ has started creeping up to the top of the list as well.

Here's the exhaustive list of what I've looked into (probably missing a few) and appreciate any guidance, first hand experience, or hell...even a few more suggestions added to the pile. Thanks!

• Buchardt Audio S400 Mk II

• Dynaudio Evoke 20

• Focal Aria 906

• Fritz Carbon 7 SE MK2

• KEF LS50

• KEF Q350

• Q Acoustics 3020

• Revel Performa3 M106

• Revival Audio Atalante 3

• Triangle Comete EZ

• Wharfedale Denton 80

• Wharfedale Denton 85

• Wharfedale Linton

bkpavement

+1 for the de Capo and the Usher. Both have what you need in terms of high efficiency and good presents at low volumes. And of course, triangle excels at that sort of projection.

First off, there is no such thing as a stand mount bookshelf system that does not desperately need subwoofers. With this is mind you get two Kef KC92 subwoofers, a pair of Harbeth P3 ESR XD loudspeakers with the stands of your choice, a MiniDSP SHD studio with two of your favorite DACs, and a 100 watt/ch Class A amp (or larger). Cross to the subwoofer at 100 Hz.

The result will be a system that outperforms systems costing tens if not hundreds of thousands more, as long as the room is not huge. This system will produce female voices without any hint of sibilance and a glorious three dimensional although small image. This is not a characteristic of small speakers. It is a characteristic of point source systems regardless of the size of the speaker. If you want a LARGE image you will have to go with line source speakers like big ESLs or Magneplanars wish I can tell you from experience is a large can of worms. 

I have no financial relationship with any audio companies or retailers. I have first hand experience with all the equipment I mentioned. I do not currently use any of it. You can see my system on my virtual system page. It can play My Name is Mud at 105 dB. Les would be proud.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  

Hi -

Have gone through my share of bookshelf speakers over the past 20 years.  I have 3 systems in use, two of which utilize bookshelf speakers.  I also live in an apartment and listen at the same levels that you mentioned in your post.

These are ones that I have owned and enjoyed.  Some are still in use.  Others have been gifted or sold along the way.  No knocks btw, just some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to try something different.   

Zu Audio - Zu DWX in the $1500 range.  Use the previous generation (Omen) with a Heaven 11 Billie hybrid integrated amp.   Keepers.  Enjoyable and lively.  

Omega - Omega Super 7 MKII in the $1000 range.  Would need to check with Louis if he is still offering this model.  Used with a Rega Brio.  Sorry I gave these away.  

Wharfedale - Diamond 12.2, which I prefer to the Dentons.  $600 range.  Used a previous generation (11) with the Outlaw RR2150 receiver.  Replaced the Diamonds with the Dentons.  Like the Dentons, just not as much as the Diamonds.     

Golden Ear - BRX.  $1900 range.  Used with a Rogue Sphinx integrated.   Keepers.  Can't say as much for the Sphinx.  

Hope this helps.  

Rich 

"The result will be a system that outperforms systems costing tens if not hundreds of thousands more, "

Holy hyperbole....