Seek non-ported speakers - $700 to $1500 To stop the port-itis in my room!

I have a smallish room 12x12 that has an unusual ceiling.  I've used several highly regarded speakers in the space and the real ported ones are the biggest problem.  I tried KEF ls50's and wanted to love them but the lower-end was too puffy sounding.  Front ported speakers do have less of a "port-itis" issue.  I found a used pair of polk lsi9's and they sound very good in my room but not great.  I'm looking for ideas for non-ported or ported speakers that are less problematic.  Range $700-$1500.  Thanks for your input audio brothers!  Drumbe the retired drummer.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrumbe
Klipsch Heresy IIIs are the first non ported speakers I've owned since my Boston Acoustics A60IIs (I still use those for my TV rig). So the Heresy's and my 2 subs provide portlessness all around...and sound great.
Before I forget, as fate would have it, perhaps it’s a case of monkey 🐵 see monkey do but most speakers have way too much stuffing. It kills the sound. The best thing to do is remove most of the stuffing or all of it, for that matter. The sound will be much more more open and have better bass. The best material to use inside speakers is pure hollow fiber wool, but only the size of a grapefruit.
Thanks audio bros!  I've already used some of the room treatments mentioned.  But bass traps will now be added in strategic areas.  Being a low-end snob makes life difficult in small rooms, especially for a former musician that played drums for over 50 years.  I used to work hard to get my bass drum to tighten up to anchor the groove for the band with my bass players.  Solid drums & bass notes = a tight band.  No wobbly notes to confuse the mates!
drume
OP :

Check out the Soffit traps at GIK. They are extremely effective, and I like to set them standing, 2x in each corner. They are marvelous.