Schiit Eitr with Aurender N100H

I’ve been using the new Schiit Eitr USB-to-S/PDIF converter with my Aurender N100H and I’m having an odd problem. When I stream Tidal, the Eitr works perfectly. When I play files from the hard drive, there is no sound. I have 2 other USB-to-SPDIF converters (Singxer F-1 and Mutec MC-3+ USB) and they play files and Tidal perfectly. Is anyone else using an Eitr with an N100H?

Dave

dpetr

Showing 6 responses by dpetr

hgeifman - Yes, I plan to use either or both of those, depending on the responses I get.  I know its a very new product, just trying to determine if there are any others out there who may be using it with an Aurender, and having a similar problem, or not...

Dave

Last week I wrote to customer service at Schiit, and they offered a replacement.  I received the replacement today, and it works perfectly. Now I'm switching back and forth between files and Tidal with no issues.

Dave

ghosthouse,

I think the comparison between the F-1 and he Eitr is very appropriate because they both have identical functionality, and very similar prices.

I've been using the F-1 for about 6 months, and it's a very good unit.   I liked the fact that is was bus-powered and didn't require a power cord like the Eitr does. 

Sonically they are very close.  I notice a slightly wider stage with the Eitr, and better clarity in the highs, specifically cymbals.  This was most noticeable with my Stax headphones.  I also think that the Eitr has deeper bass. 

But with a different source/speakers, etc, your findings could be the opposite.

I think you could be happy with either one, given the compact size and the price-point, but I give a slight edge to the Eitr.

I've used many of these USB-to-S/PDIF converters over the past 4 years.  I like the concept of asynchronous USB, and I also like being able to change my USB converter as technology changes, but keeping my Aurender server, sort of like changing cartridges on a turntable.   Over the past 4 years, I've used a Berkeley Alpha USB, the Lampizator USB Transport, the Mutec, a Singxer F-1, and now the Eitr.  They were all excellent sounding interfaces, but the processing capabilities of these devices keeps advancing, and prices keep falling. 

I sold the Mutec this week....

Dave

ghosthouse - The wall wart for the Eitr is tiny - much smaller than I was expecting.  its rectangular, about an inch and a half "tall" and about an inch deep. 

Dave

cdc2 - I've never used a Mac Mini, so I'm not able to compare to my Aurender.  I have read comments written by others who have moved from a Mini to an Aurender and they noticed improvements. 

Sonically my Aurender is superb.  I love the ease of use and the app.  I also like the small footprint of the N100.  I've used their customer service several times and each time they respond quickly, and with a solution - no BS.  They make excellent products and stand by them.  I couldn't recommend it more highly...

But I am curious how the N100 would compare to an UltraRendu with a good linear PS.  I haven't read about the comparison yet, and I think the prices would be similar.

Dave