Sad songs- We love them- We need them

Hello everyone,

I was listening the other day to a sad song on my playlist and realized their ability to invoke a powerful emotional reaction. Usually about someone in your life. Your children, your special lady or man or maybe someone who is no longer living. I realized we need these songs to remind us life is short and to remember what is most important to us. I thought I would ask everyone to list a song or two that is special to them. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a sad song. I have children so I will start with a few songs that remind me to tell them I love them more often or give them an extra hug or two. 

Cats in the cradle- Harry Chapin

Jacobs Dream - Allison Krause 

Hell Is for Children- Pat Benetar

Ron

ronboco

I gotta go with @rpeluso. If "No Time To Cry" by Iris DeMent doesn’t produce a lump in your throat and tears on your cheeks, check your pulse.

The song may be found on Iris’ My Life album, currently available on CD only. There was an LP version made available by Plain Recordings in 2013, currently out-of-print. This album alone justifies---in fact mandates!---owning a CD player ;-) .

Great post.  Not just that but many meaningful replies.  From a classical perspective:

Der Leiermann by Schubert. Just soul crushing.

Death of Melisand by Sibelius.  title says it all.

Intermezzo from the Crown of India by Elgar.  Surely the most tender and intimate voice of comfort ever written.

To the posters who have suffered loss - thank you for sharing,  It is very meaningful.