Sad news - Jay sold his new Rockport Lyra speakers

Just released, after five months of mystery, new speakers that replaced the Wilson chronosonic $350 mil speakers, that were announced with all kinds of fanfare just a few weeks ago are on their way out.

So the $200,000 Rockport lyras, we learn in a dramatic and solemn 90 minute video, were not acceptable so they had to go.

Not everyone has a forum that allows disposal of speakers as does Jay. How incredibly difficult it must be for anyone to make such a serious investment and then be disappointed. And the rest of us who didn’t buy the speakers at a discount will somehow come to terms with a $50-$80,000 loss and that’s just downright depressing.

How does one buy speakers in the vast six digits range? And then how difficult it must be to admit to yourself, and then to your wife, that you’re unhappy. And then how does one muster the courage to go on and purchase another incredibly expensive speaker. Personally I found buying every audio component incredibly annoying and challenging yet you carry on hoping the prize at the end of the unpleasant journey Will be worth it.

Personally I think all the time about upgrading my speaker and then when I see things like this I’m at a loss as to what to do. These types of miserable experiences should be Hidden from public view as it impacts all of us. It’ll be a while before I get over this, maybe I should begin focussing on my thoughts to upgrade my pre-amplifier or replace tubes on my amplifier. Or maybe I should just learn to be satisfied with what I have.

emergingsoul

He is an honest person as much as many others reviewers...

Reviewers sells but they can do it in a way which is informative or not...

Then i think you are right ...

Let's assume Jay is in the pockets of the high-end brands and isn't out of pocket for any costs. Then what's the incentive for him NOT to do Steve Huff puff-reviews where everything new is the best thing since Sydney Sweeny's cleavage?

If he makes mistakes vis a vis gear choices that don't jibe with his evolving tastes, the insinuation is he's the Wizard of Oz and the curtain is torn. How about he's just a human being making a play to do something he likes to make money, thus sometimes he gets mud on his face, but more often than not if you listen carefully to what he says about everything from speaker impedance and placement issues to a DAC or server's software UI or a preamplifier's synergy with other components in his system, you get high-end gear insights you won't get anywhere else. 

I just don't get the animosity Jay seems to engender in some people, it seems less to do with him and more to do with the Audiogon community.

I’ve had my Cornwall IV’s for almost 2 years now (next month actually) and I have no plans to change them. It’s been a year since I did the big mods (crossover parts upgrade, cabinet/horn dampening, and internal wiring).

I’m NEVER parting with them. Yes, I have a YT Channel but don’t consider myself an "Influencer" (1.5k Subs in almost 5 yrs. "on the air"). I tend to cut the crap and only review what I buy or what equipment/Speakers friends lend or give to me. I don’t reach out to manufacturers and only Schill for Companies & their products that I’ve purchased and developed relationships with.

And I call out YT’ers on their BS (usually a certain fellow Canadian only).

I’ve met Jay at the Shows and drank with him during a late night TAD session a year ago at FLAX. A very nice Guy who’s not full of himself in person.

Joey G's Audio Channel on YouTube

I don't know anything about Jay, but I know the type.

Successful. Wealthy. And never (seemingly) happy and/or satisfied.

You see the same thing with guys who cycle through cars like they're paper towels. Lambos. Ferraris. McLarens. Etc. They're always chasing something and they never seem to find it.

Basically, they're trying to fill the existential hole inside them with stuff. Except stuff never fixes that issue.

And, of course, the influencers need continuous content. And likes. So that makes things (arguably) even worse.

Living and working in Europe 25 years ago I saw a different perspective.  We Americans do not get a lot of vacation time so Americans typically will tour Europe by visiting one city per day or so.  Europeans saw that as shallow, that to experience a place one must “live” there a while.  Spend a week or two in a place to get to know it.  Easier to do with a 6 week vacation schedule.  But the same applied with eating out.  It took me some time to slow down and enjoy a two- three hour dinner in much of Europe.  It was ironic when I moved back to the US and got annoyed by the frequent interruptions by my server and felt rushed having to leave the table after an hour.  

Same thing with a stereo system.  It takes some time to really get to know a component- especially a speaker.  Sure, the wrong component could become apparent rather quickly and a correction is needed.  Maybe that is where buying used is an advantage- much less break-in time needed.  I know I have been in a bad relationship with a stereo component before.  Breaking up is hard.  I went through those stages:  This is not what I was expecting.  Maybe I can make this work.  This isn’t working.  What do I do now?  This thing has to go.  What do I replace it with and how will I know it is not another bad decision?  Why am I in this hobby?  Is it me? And so on.  It can be rough.

He keeps beating around the bush with small speakers from the same brands. Save up for a few years and buy a pair of Cessaro's.