Router for Audio Streaming

I have been streaming Pandora, Spotify and Qobuz through a wifi network streamer from a Netgear AC1750 R6400v2 router with no sound quality complaints.

Recently a router firmware update failed (a known issue with these) and as a result it is no longer accessible for administration.  It still seems to perform ok and accepts new devices however the network settings are "frozen" and I am unable to view device IP addresses or traffic, neither via desktop browser nor via the Nighthawk app.

I will try a factory reset but have read that quite often this does not work in these situations, so I started investigating getting a new router to be able to pull the trigger quickly if needed.

I heard/read that routers can make a difference in sound quality, beyond just being able to keep up with streaming with no buffering.  I'm wondering what router experience and recommendations folks have here for reliable audio streaming with superior sound quality at a reasonable price.

Thanks!

yoramguy1

P.S., the TP-Link X60 I have here ready to be returned is Wifi 6, but not tri-band.

@oldrooney , wanted to get back to you. Very cool streamer, the Aries!

We listen to Pandora, Spotify and Qobuz, and I spent quite a bit of time looking for a wifi streamer that would support all three and replace my two existing streamers - Squeezebox Duet and Bluesound Node 2 - at the highest audio definitions available. Unfortunately very few devices fully support Pandora.

One of the good folks on this forum cued me onto the Magna Mano Ultra Mk2, which I’ve been using happily for over 1.5 years now together with an RME ADI-2 FS dac. The Mano can run ethernet but my home makes it quite difficult. It runs wifi 2.4G very reliably. My router and Mano are both located quite high and about 18’ and 2 internal walls apart. I did move all my other devices that are capable to 5G, especially the smart TVs, to minimize 2.4G traffic.

BTW, the root cause for this entire thread was that I needed to update the Logitech Media Server software on the Mano but could not access it because of a failed router firmware update... All is well now.

I have no dog in this fight, but...

Had a Verizon tech out to troubleshoot an issue with their cabling and commented the I should look at a Mesh system and eliminate some of my wired network. Well, although it sounded intriguing I have only a couple of wireless devices, everything else runs through switches (7 to be exact) in a more or less totally wired gig network.

Currently on their router, but will be switching back to my Asus RT-AC68U and I run a second Asus Dark Knight that is used as a wireless repeater to make sure tablet has coverage as I use it to run JRiver through for my second system.  

@stevea11757

Yeah, I would definitely ignore what your VZ guy said. Although you may not want to tear your house apart to put in wired Ethernet… you sure don’t want to take it out if you have it.

If you are dedicated to high end audio typically it is best to know yourself and ignor contradictory remarks from electricians, cable guys, cellular guys, Best Buy guys, mid-fi gurus… etc. They frequntly want to be helpful but do not have the values and knowledge to do so.

More than once I have had to ask an electrician to “just do it”. It has always turned out to be a great improvement. I will happily take their advice on putting the toaster oven and refrigerator on the same circuit, but not on audio questions.

I have no recommendation for a router because netgear makes good products.  A UPS might be a good idea for the next router. I am running Netgear AC 1200 network from my router. It is 1ghz and the throughput is Plenty for my bluesound node II.  I have no complaints with sound.  And it has been stable. I'm not sure what the throughput is on a mesh, but being wireless I would expect less performance than wired.