Rotel vs NAD

looking at either the NAD 165 pre-275 amp combo, or the Rotel 1580 pre-1552 amp combo. anybody with experience with either i would love to hear your thoughts. i listened to the NAD combo today and really liked it. unfortunately i cant demo the Rotel in my area. insight into sound and build qaulity would be great.
maurager
James_lipski/Hieule5,
When I mentioned NAD warmth, I meant it w.r.t. Rotel's cool character. When I auditioned Rotel, I felt they emphasized "treble" too much. For me, NAD is really neutral.
Mr. Milpai

I agreed with you.

Rotel sounds a bit thin at the bottom for me. The bass on the some Rotel amps lack that pitch or definition to my ears.

I am running in a NAD 326BEE. So far with jazz and classical and pop I have no complaints on the performance of the amp.

But I noticed that the 352 and the 372 sound more neutral than the 326BEE to my ears. Thing is with the 326BEE, the little amp was probably designed with a bit of emphasis on mid bass/upper bass so the NAD 326BEE could be warmer than the 352 and 372 IMO.

I think NAD is more neutral for me than Rotel, with an emphasis on the high end spectrum.
I have the nad c275. Have had it for a few months now, and wow, it just gets better by the week. I have a nad c372 also, but no comparison. The c372 is very neutral, but so is the 275, but with the 275 just being more of everything. It has tons of clean power, fantastic bass, mids, and clean treble.

I am so impressed with this amp. My listening pleasure has jumped up a staggering level with this.

Btw, I am using the preamp from my nad T753 to send the front mains signal to the 275. So I am getting great 2-channel listening, plus much better surround use also as it drives the mains in either 2-channel or surround.

You can't go wrong with this amp. Just check out the reviews also in Stereophile for the 375 integrated (uses the 275 amp section basically), and review in the Hi-Fi news for the 275. Those that review either the 375 or the 275 are blown away. Michael Fremer in Stereophile said to check these out if you are thinking of spending even up to $10,000 for a amp. Yes, his comments in the last edition of Stereophile.
As the above responses suggest, NAD is relatively warmer than the Rotel - which I found too bright for my tastes.

NAD is decent gear and you probably have to pay twice the price of NAD to buy something appreciably better, but comparisons to $10k amps is a bit silly IMO. NAD provides great bang for buck, but there's much better gear out there if you're willing to pay a premium price for it.
Having had three Nad int amps.....two NAD pre/power amp combos and one Rotel pre/power amp combo I would go with the Rotel.

The Rotel does sound bright at first but I found the Rotel much more musical after break in. NAD's are "loud" for their price, but I found the Rotel much more articulate with a tube cd player.

I still have a couple of NAD int amps. Also own Mcintosh and Classe. Have also used Krell and many others.

Much better warranty with the Rotel. Maybe a better resale value......Just an opinion.