room size question.

( wasnt sure what category to put this in ,so figured this one would get more views)

in watching some you tube videos, one from Jays audio lab, and another one from Paul ( ps audio ), they both mention how the speakers should be set up in the room and it seems they bring them out into the room quite a bit.    they say that when this happens, you have the soundstage and jay was mentioning that there are layers that one gets to hear when listening.

my question i guess is that can this same thing happen in a smaller room, say 12x12 or is one just limited to say center imaging due to room size ?

room is treated

this is the ps audio video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63RORq8JMw

jays video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOWcvbfNZw

bshaw

@immatthewj

I agree with you, but when I go, once a year or so, it’s giant speakers in giant spaces. (my point being that soundstage is not a given, we are not recreating but creating it)

@thyname When I got advice from GIK regarding my room, I was told that an absorption panel in a small room is preferable to a diffuser ... in a small room, a diffuser can magnify existing, untreated problem areas. I was told also to place the absorption panel behind the listening chair. In my room, the main problem was that it was too lively, so the absorption panel and corner traps have corrected that.

@thyname 

From my own experience, if one wants bigger soundstage in a small(ish) room, diffusers should be used on the back wall (and the front wall, but to a lesser extent), not absorbers. Even side walls, a combination absorber / diffusers may work better

interesting.            when i contaced GIK to place an order, they of course want pictures of the room to get an idea of what to suggest....and i forget his name, but he suggested the corner traps, diffusors on stands and absorbers behind the chair. 

if i had the option to hang the diffusors, and maybe i can come up with something so this can happen, just have to be creative, then i can swap the two around and see if it makes a difference..

Oh I have all kinds of acoustic panels, diffusers, absorbers, bass traps. Even on ceiling. You can get a good idea looking at my profile page here under Systems. Slowly but surely, my coverage percentage in my room got pretty high and satisfactory. Everything sounds AND measures (REW) very good.

Every room is different. As much as the GIK people can help remotely by seeing pictures and videos, one has to do this themselves, figure it all out by listening and measuring their room response, and get advice as the project progresses. There are no shortcuts. But the process is enjoyable, especially when the end result is good.

@bshaw :

if i had the option to hang the diffusors

Exactly which diffusers from GIK do you have? Maybe you can post a link. I don’t see how you cannot put them behind your listening chair, on the back wall. About 30-40 inches above floor level. Center.

Here is what I have on the back wall: 

Combination absorption/ diffuser/ bass traps

Post removed