Riddle me this - SPH9600MP headset microphone issue

I have a Sennheiser PC38X headset at the office, and a Philips SPH9600MP at home. Open back for listening and situational awareness, microphone for remote appearances and meetings via Zoom, Teams, etc.

I picked up a BTR5-2021 Bluetooth DAC/Amp that passes through the microphone signal for any headset using the CTIA layout on the TRRS 3.5mm plug, or so says FiiO.

Works perfectly with the PC38X. Does not work at all with the Philips. I used a Fluke to confirm both are using the CTIA standard. The only difference I can see (besides the Philips being 32Ω cans and the Sennheiser using “28Ω” units that actually measure 25.1Ω) is the microphone on the Philips reads 1.795kΩ, while the Sennheiser is about 1/2 that, at 9.89kΩ.

Would that different cause the DAC/Amp to maybe not “see” the mic and not use it?

Anyone know what the impedance is on the V-Moda? (Are there any other alternatives? I'd like to stick with one 3.5mm TRRS cable, vs. the awkwardness of a dual cable setup like an Antlion ModMic.

mangorosi

Possibly. One way to experiment is to add a parallel resistor to lower your effective impedance.  4k or 2K should do it.

I have a Sennheiser PC38X headset at the office, and a Philips SPH9600MP at home. Open back for listening and situational awareness, microphone for remote appearances and meetings via Zoom, Teams, etc.

I picked up a BTR5-2021 Bluetooth DAC/Amp that passes through the microphone signal for any headset using the CTIA layout on the TRRS 3.5mm plug, or so says FiiO.

Works perfectly with the PC38X. Does not work at all with the Philips. I used a Fluke to confirm both are using the CTIA standard. The only difference I can see (besides the Philips being 32Ω cans and the Sennheiser using “28Ω” units that actually measure 25.1Ω) is the microphone on the Philips reads 1.795kΩ, while the Sennheiser is about 1/2 that, at 9.89kΩ.

Would that different cause the DAC/Amp to maybe not “see” the mic and not use it? 

Anyone know what the impedance is on the V-Moda? (Are there any other alternatives? I'd like to stick with one 3.5mm TRRS cable, vs. the awkwardness of a dual cable setup like an Antlion ModMic. xvideos

I got this,...