Review: Basis 2001 Turntable

Category: Analog

First, concerning the Build quality. This table is very solidly built. No cheezy parts here. All the components of the table are either of heavy duty alloy or of substantial plastic/acrylic. The bearing assembly weighs several pounds, and is sealed. The Motor assembly likewise is very heavy, and is supported on four small but well made rubber feet. The Platter is very solid and heavy. The subassembly or plinth is extremely solid 1 inch thick black metacrylate that is highly polished and very beautiful. All the parts are of excellent build quality.
Second, concerning the operation. The Setup is straightforward, screwing the four corner legs in or out till the table is level. When the table is running the motor is silent, the bearings smooth, and the platter shows no wobble at all. No noise can be heard unless the ear is only a few inches from the belt and platter, and then only soft rotational sounds can be perceived.
Third, concerning the sound. The table itself is extremely quiet, due to the quality of the workmanship in part, but also due to the design, which suspends the already sonically inert subassembly and platter on four silicone damped springs. Quiet passages on a good record are extroardinarily silent. The pitch is also very stable, due to the weight of the platter and the expensive and reliable motor.
Fourth, concerning the music. Though the RS Labs A1 tonearm I use with this is a big part of the synergy of this combo, yet I can say for certain that the table contributes to very detailed and accurate sound, not too warm and colorful but with an emphasis on getting the instruments right. Soundstage is about what you would expect--Not in the very best league, but still right up there in the top 20 percent or so. Perhaps with a better arm and cart this table may be in the top 10 percent of all tables for soundstaging. The highs are crisp and well defined, and bass is not muddy, but of course once again arm and cartridge choice will make large differences in these.
Overall, I'd say that the Basis 2001 will easily last a lifetime based on structural quality, and that the sound while somewhat lacking in warmth is very detailed and precise, especially for the modest price. When combined with a good tonearm and cartridge the combination should please satisfy anyone.

Associated gear
RS Labs A1 Tonearm, Goldring 1042 Cartridge.
aaird
I owned a Basis 2001 for about 1.5 years with a Graham 2.2 and Bebz Ruby. Over all a nice but not great turntable. Good detail and accuracy musical but has poor low end bass compaired to other tables I have had in my system. Currently have a Debut Vacuum and before that a Michell Orbe. The 2001 was enjoyable to listen to but there is a huge jump when you go to the Debut. The orbe Se at $3500 retail is a excellent table for the money and outperformes the Basis 2001. John
Agreed that the Debut will outclass the 2001, at a huge jump in price. I love my black Basis 2001, hard to imagine replacing it. (that is unusual for me - I'm always replacing something in my system!)
Art
I have had a Basis 2000 , Graham 2.0 and Benz H20 for quite some time. I ended up going with a 2000 replacing the pods/feet with 3 Walker Valid Points. One positioned between the tonearm base and platter, one sort of in front of the platter and the last one to the left rear of he platter (looking from the front of the turntable). This actually outperformed the 2001 at the dealer. Bass and articulation were much improved. I have this table mounted on a Target wall stand with a 2" Maple butcher block platform and Mapleshade Isoblocks. I had recently done some experimenting with different postitions of the Valid Cones as well as the original pods. It is quite dramatic how much the performance changes when you get the cones positioned correctly. I was getting feedback and a lack of low end response before I got the cones in this final position. Worth an experiment for you 2000/2001 owners.