Revel 328Be owners...what do you think?

Been looking at this speaker and I'd love to hear from people who had it in their homes.  Does it live up to the hype?  How did it exceed your expectations and how did it let you down?

I will be pairing it with a sub so low end extension isn't a big concern for me.

Thanks for your thoughts!

samgupta101

it’s one of the best reviewed brand and speaker. A tremendous value. As for "boring" - only YOUR ear can tell.

I have the opportunity to pick up a second hand pair of the 328s at a pretty good price, and am currently running the 228s paired with a big rel. 

What is a “pretty good price?” Personally, based on the performance I would not be tempted by 328s unless I could snag them for under $5K/pair.

I say that because Børresen X3s can be had for <$10K pair with a typical dealer discount. They have far less audible cabinets and higher SPL capability despite the “4.5 inch” woofers (which are really 6” woofers by any other’s standard.” They  X3s would be a clear and worthy upgrade over your 228s, while the 328s will only surpass your current speakers in a couple areas. 

I’d also consider a pair of pre-owned YG towers, especially since you already have bass reinforcement with the subs. 

@james663 - classic rock is often recorded “poorly” to my years, lots of mids together. Yes comes to mind… I usually bring some Jethro Tull, Yes and Purple. I want to hear all instruments at reasonable volume as I never crank it to 11. Also, sometimes “colored” sound actually fixes a bit poor recording. My amp is E-650 Accuphase with tone and loudness controls which I find handy in some cases.

Revel did not play well for me in that sense. YMMV depending on your sound and music taste.

i recently purchased ProAc 38R and also have GR Bully on order.

@helomech  I can get these for few k above your threshold price of $5k.  I think my 228s have been so good that I'm really tempted to try the 328s.

I'll take a look at your recommended X3s and will do some reading on them.  Appreciate you taking the time to chime in and offering alternatives.

Honestly if you have the 228be I would not spend the money on the 328be. But if you can sell the 228be you are really not out that much. I think I would take the Borresen comments to heart and seek out a demo. Too much good press to ignore. Me personally I would really like to see some measurements of the Borresen X line.