Revel 328Be owners...what do you think?

Been looking at this speaker and I'd love to hear from people who had it in their homes.  Does it live up to the hype?  How did it exceed your expectations and how did it let you down?

I will be pairing it with a sub so low end extension isn't a big concern for me.

Thanks for your thoughts!

samgupta101

Hmm define a “rock speaker”. I listen to mostly hard rock in general terms and felt revels did fine due to the downward sloping frequency response. Never harsh even on poor recordings. They play supper loud, silly loud before breaking up. Not sure I ever found the compression point honestly. The JBLs I have now do have more snap/impact of notes.

speakers that don’t rock to me are bright or lack dynamics. The Revels are neither bright or lacking dynamics but they are not the last word in dynamics either. 

After I bought a dealers salon 2 demos he invited me back a couple days later to listen to the 228be's and the first thing I noticed  was the sound drawing me back to the speakers. The latest performa's cabinets are a bit noisy, not bad, but enough to distract me from the stereo illusion the bass was also lacking, but more bass would probably excite the cabinets even more. I agree that a used salon 2 if you have a powerful amp or the studio 2 if you want the best representation of revel speakers. 

Like helomech said tho', While the ultima 2 was pretty special for the money in 2006, there's been forward progress made and many of us have moved on.

thanks @james663 @mikhailark and @steve59 for your thoughts.  

I have the opportunity to pick up a second hand pair of the 328s at a pretty good price, and am currently running the 228s paired with a big rel.  Knowing the tweeter is different on the 328s and that the bass drivers are different has me a bit intrigued.  I might just go for it  and then I'd be able to compare these side by side in my home. 

Post removed