Relationship between Ethernet Switch and SQ

This one will probably invite some withering mockery, but I will ask....

I only stream, and my streamer (Bryston BDP) is fed with an ethernet cable that runs back to my router.  Literally back to my router; there are enough output jacks on the router that I have a long run to the streamer and no ethernet switch in the chain (or the house system for that matter).   (There is an Eno filter right before the streamer).

I happen to OWN a nice LHY ethernet switch.  I am assuming that there is no reason to use it in this configuration, that is, assuming there are noisier switches, and less noisy switches, there is still no net benefit of adding any switch to this chain.  But maybe, just maybe, in the metaphysics of electrons that I do not understand, there is some reason why a nice switch prior to the streamer accomplishes something (in theory...I get that I can A/B test and try to fool myself whether I can hear a difference).  For the first person with a correct answer, I will mail a nice $600 switch to the address you specify! (JK)

mathiasmingus

Showing 2 responses by jji666

I'm not here to troll.  But packets are packets and ethernet knows how to reassemble them. If it didn't then $%kdiow @#sedfm WE235* would happen.  

The rest of this, on the network side, is audio bling, unless your streamer isn't designed well to handle any electrical noise over its LAN port. And that is only theoretical. 

I feel bad for Fredrik222 - he's absolutely correct, but some of his posts are off-putting.  Then again, so are the responses to those posts...

I know not to attempt swapping IC, speaker or USB while equipment is ON

Definitely don't swap single-ended interconnects and if you swap speakers you have to pull the + first and put in the - first.  If anything bad happens when you pull a USB cable, then you've got something seriously wrong with that USB device. 

I honestly do not want to start or perpetuate an argument but analog audio logic simply doesn't apply in the digital or network domain.  It's fundamentally different.  

you fit the mold of someone who’s close-minded.

Ad hominem attack...not a good way to make your point...this is what closes people's minds.