Rega P25-best upgrade

I'm considering two different directions, one which is not exclusive of the other as it too can be done at a later date. Therefore, I'm wondering which will give me the biggest bang for my bucks and why?
1. Add the 3 Groovetracer upgrades: Subplatter, platter and counterweight; or
2. Add a new Cartridge. Currently running Dynavector 10x5 and considering Dynavector 17D3, Sumiko Blackbird or Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood (with the Dynavector 20XL or XH in the back of my mind).

The reason I might consider using a High output cartridge over a Low output is because I record each album I play to CD so I don't want to have to crank the volume to get the CD up to the gain point of regular CD's. That is, even with the Medium output 10x5 I still need 60 db of gain (and that's the max) and that is perfect for recording. Not sure how a low output cartridge would do as I've never used one. Associated relevant equipment Rega P25, Bel Canto Pre2p and M-Audio 24/96 sound card. Let me hear what the experts have to say...I certainly am not one. Thanks.
nodaker
Is it worth it to do these upgrades to a P1? I quite like the table and think I'd start with the groovetracer acrylic platter.
08-31-08: Radknee
Is it worth it to do these upgrades to a P1? I quite like the table and think I'd start with the groovetracer acrylic platter.
I've read a couple reviews of the P1. It sounds like it's a good budget table, but in my opinion, it doesn't have a solid foundation to sink money into. I honestly don't believe you'll hear any difference with an acrylic platter. Why don't you live with it until you save enough money to upgrade to something better like a P3 or a Technics 1200 or an older Thorens. Any of these would be a much better "budget" table.

Here's some food for thought: Tweaking my new Rega P1: How much is too much?
Hi everyone!

A question to those who KNOW.. Will a fully upgraded/ maxed out P25, when compared to a P9, come close, outperform, still miles away or simply have totally different sound? Thank you.

Regards,
atlasiris
A P5 would have a better chance of giving it a run for its money but a P25? doubt it. Jeff Dorgay of Tone Audio did a comparison with his P25 and his P9, same cartridge on both tables and said that while the upgraded P25 was an overachiever, it didn't outperform his P9. He did say it wasn't a blowout win for the P9.
The newer 24V motor and optional power supply are noticable upgrades over the older P3,P25 models so the gap would probably be bridged considerably. Remember that the P9 has a much more sophisticated power supply and the RB1000 is a better tonearm than the RB700.
Disclaimer: I manufacture Rega turntable upgrades.
I will chime in on this... I have owned a P25 for approx 3 yrs.
The first upgrade I did was change the c/w to an Express Machining "Heavyweight". This improved bass in both weight and reducing a slight muddiness. Also, improved tracking ability on the carts I used it with.
Within the last 3-4 months I have installed the three Groovetracer offerings- Counterweight, Subplatter and Acryllic Platter.
All I can say is WOW! These "upgrades"improved EVERYTHING to my ears.
The Rega strengths of Timing, musicality, and pacing are all still there but now the bass is lower and tighter, the highs are extended even further and NO "hotness" or gratiness, just smooth extension. Soundstage depth is a good 3' to 4' perceived deeper.
The midrange is meatier than before the "upgrades" and more palpable, especially on female vocals- I am falling in love with Joni Mitchell....again.
I paid $600 for the P25, and about $500 for the Groovetracer products. I am currently using a Rega Exact cart, I paid $250 for and a Rega Fono I bought for $200. All told for less than $1600, I could not be happier, nor do I believe I could do better for the money.
The Groovetracer products are first rate in design and build and are truly a snap to install. Doing business with Groovetracer was a hassle-free, pleasure, and I would urge you to spring for the three "upgrades" as your budget allows.
If you can do all three at once, I would do it that way, but if not, in this order.... Counterweight, then Acryllic platter, then subplatter.
I would not trade my table for an LP12 or a Scout....they are both good tables, I just prefer the P25/Groovetracer.
I will probably buy another, more expensive table someday, but I will keep the P25/Groovetracer.
If your on the fence.....jump, you'll be glad you did.