Reel to Reel

So I have this tug to get a reel to reel but I'm a little perplexed by pricing and how the decks and the pretty high prices don't move.  I've been keeping an eye on certain ones for a while now.  People really have patience.  lol  But is it even worth it to mess with?  I remember having a quadrophonic RTR in the 80's and wow did it sound good...rich and thick and chocolatey!  It seems like it could be fun to experience/experiment with this and hear again how it sounds esp through modern gear.  Would/Have any of you had much experience lately with RTR?  Is my memory better than the thing is actually?  lol

bbarten

bbarten  -  Do you want to tinker, or just enjoy?  Many Audiophiles seem more focused on the process of how the music is reproduced than the actual music.  As an engineer, I suffer from that too. In the case of R-R, it is first and foremost a mechanical medium, and just like turntables (or sports cars, or a person's social life) it takes constant maintenance and attention to detail to keep working properly. 

From your comments on cost, you may be a bit like me, and not about to drop 10 grand on a whim.  I happen to have and love middle of the road R-R decks.  I've had probably a dozen over the years, and still have a stable of 4 Teacs that will be re-woken in the months to come. My Sony, Panasonic and even the Wollensak will get refurbished as time allows.  Unless you are like me or probably     
elliottbnewcombjr, R-R may be more trouble than it is worth, but like having a classic car, it is a matter of time, money and love. In fact, you might do best with a love triangle - a deck that really appeals to you, a good LOCAL tech to take care of your new love when it gets sick, and YOU.   Think of any tape medium as more like a pet - you have to understand its needs, exercise it, and get to know its idiosyncrasies well or you will both suffer.  

There are lots of forums that can offer help.  This one tends toward the high end, but not exclusively so, as demonstrated by the responses to this thread.  I won't recommend any particular brand because R-R decks are imposing pieces of equipment that demand attention, just like floor-standing speakers. They have to LOOK right to fit into your space.  There have been some good brands mentioned already, and just like buying a car, going cheap may easily result in your getting eaten alive with unexpected maintenance costs.  Again, that's where a knowledgeable friend or a good local tech can be your best guide (after this and similar forums, of course...)

My personal experience has benefited from watching what is popular on fleabay, checking the actual "Sold" prices of things that catch your eye, and then come back and make a few more "whadda ya think about..." posts here and elsewhere.  You can help others help you if you share what you think is "reasonable", what features you are looking for (quad prerecorded R-R tapes of any kind are essentially unobtanium for anyone who cares about costs), and for equipment this old, repairability and availability of parts is a major consideration.  R-R requires care and dedication, so if you are really only looking for a brief hookup with your high school crush, you may be better off just savoring the memories.  Either way, good luck!

Another strong endorsement for open RTR. My audio system is considered by many as exotic and end game in a dedicated 2 channel listening room. Because I was at a point of only modest improvements.in SQ with new hardware and vinyl re-releases, I thought to explore RTR. Four years ago, I started with an Otari MX5050 and upgraded to a fully restored Studer A810. The enhanced SQ was startling. RTR is relatively expensive media. I record and playback at 15 ips. The selections are limited — mostly jazz and classical. Their album equivalent in tape is $250-$500. Blank tapes for self recording are less costly, but not inexpensive. But in comparison to the source album, a well recorded tape at home sounds much better. There’re now several small domestic and international firms doing quality restorations.

Knittersspouse advice is spot on about care and dedication. It’s a high calorie burning media.

Thanks everyone for all of the great info!  All aspects really got well explored here and I really appreciate the engagement.  I could respond to each one from an interest level.  There's so much to talk about and consider.  You all make great points!  I think I'll keep looking at them...see how the budget goes and maybe get inspired to go for it.  Maybe something will "fall in my lap" and make it convenient as possible to get into it again.  I did the Beta VCR thing too.  It was interesting.  Thanks again everybody!