Recommendation for a modern Duntech Sovereign 2001 replacement

After o.a. the Snells (Model A/II, B Minor), Vandys (2Ce sigII), Thiels (2.2, 3.6), I settled on Dunlavy (SC I, III, IV) and Duntech (Black Knight and Sovereign 2001). These all have 1st order xo and soft dome speakers (I have had plenty of other speakers).

I listen mostly to classical, Jazz and occasionally classic Rock. Must have superb mid range.

Looking for a modern version (closed box or electrostatic) which should be smaller and, very important, offers a higher WAF (which should not be difficult).

Any recommendations?

128x128jazzonthehudson

Showing 5 responses by jazzonthehudson

@ Audio Doctor
The current room (about 30x24ft and tall enough, sloping upward) is big enough but I need to factor in a smaller room when we move in 2 years.

I am not looking to have the same sound as the Sovereign 2001s, just saying I like the way they can reproduce. Hopefully improve on the speed of the bass (guess the 12" woofers show their age).

Do the Ulfberht come with a grill? They remind me of shooting range targets...never liked speakers with an array of tweeters. How does one control phase with so many drivers?

Heard a Dali monitor before, great but but not "moved" at the time. Probably the hybrid tweeter is a lot better.

@williewonka
Thanks Steve for the suggestions, esp the comparison with SF Aida (was on my shortlist, I had the Cremona and Concertinos in a different setup but only kept them for a very short while) and Focal Utopia. What about the Revels?

Avantgarde may not fit the WAF bill, though I appreciate a good horn (had the Klipschorns decades ago).

Gershman Acoustics looks nice (enough) , will look into them.

Tannoy, which one?

Regards,

Charles
Thanks all for the (continued) suggestions!

Silhouettes like the KEF Blade, SF Olympia would suit us best.
Guess I should have mentioned earlier that aesthetics is this time important. We may end up in an apartment in Manhattan.

Also, I am thinking of going back to solid state and simple setup (something like the Devialet pizzabox I have mentioned in my threads). I have a NAD amp as backup if that experiment fails.

@williewonka  " They will handle large orchestral, rock and sound really smooth when playing Diana Krall "
Exactly what I am looking for! But the aesthetics of Ceviot or GRF may be too old fashioned for my better half. Cantebury is out because of that.

@audiotroy
My Sovereign 2001s are reserved but not sold yet as the buyer is looking for ways to get it shipped to Canada and I have the Duntech Black Knights to console me until a new breed is introduced to the herd.
The Dali Epicon 8 looks good specs wise.

@erik_squires 
Which Revel would you recommend?  I have no experience with MA.

@roberjerman
Thanks for your tip on Carver.
@pryso
Thanks for your recommendations which I will look into. I have come across your comments in many other threads so I have a high regard for you.

@rcprince
Thanks for your recommendations. I almost bought the 5A (liked the sound very much) but I got a local deal on the Duntech Sovereign. The Kef Blade looks very nice indeed. I have fond memories of the 104/2 and 107s

Re Maggies: had the 1.6Q in another set up for a while (great for the price but not wow compared to the Black Knights) and am sure the bigger 20 is a completely different animal but Pryso is right about the perception of WAF.

My current buyer of the Sovereigns is based overseas, it is a pain in the neck to get them shipped, finding an economical way to have them shipped door to door (they are too heavy for me to haul them to a port and pack them in commercial shipping boxes that goes into a container. Any help greatly appreciated!). 

This prods me to set my new requirement to modern looking floorstanders under lbs 180 each and the pair must both fit into a standard SUV.

@audiotroy
I know where you guys are, please be patient. I still have my current "old" gear for a while.
FYI just gathering ideas here, will start listening to candidates late summer.
Thanks gents for the tips on packaging, I was also gearing towards the use of pink sheets and spraying insulation foam before closing the crate to ensure things don't rattle doing the long journey across the globe.
If the grand total shipping costs become cost prohibitive for the buyer, I will probably relist my Sovereigns again.

As for my final shortlist - and I have just started - it will be one where aesthetics, overall sound quality, transportability/handling (we will move in the future) and with a small weighting, ease of resale play a role.

E.g. my wife can live with the B&W 805 D3 and REL combo a friend has,  but I am fighting to keep the form factor to floorstanders.

Thanks all for great suggestions!

@rcprince

I sent you a PM re Reference 3A Grand Veena

@tomic601
The Quattro CT "looks" indeed like a good candidate and the reviews are great.