Recommend me a DAC under 3k

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I’m expanding my all-analog system to add a proper digital front end and would like recommendations for a DAC to connect to my Wiim pro plus.

Listening Habits:

I primarily listen to LPs, but appreciate the convenience and discoverability that digital provides. I don’t have a digital music library and only stream via Tidal and Spotify. My 2-channel system does double duty as a sound system for our TV as well.

Requirements:

• All-in <= $3k
  • Prioritizes sound quality above all else
  • Streaming supports Tidal Connect directly or via some other protocol
  • TosLink Input (for casual TV)

Personal Preferences:

• When tuning components in my system, I’ve preferred ones that are more detailed/transparent rather than overly warm/harmonic. E.g. Telefunken over Amperex or Mullard. Duelund CAST over AN copper.
  • Realistic tone/timbre, soundstage, micro-detail, and impactful bass are important to me.

Currently under consideration:

• Denafrips Pontus II 12th
  • Denafrips Venus II
  • Schiit Yggdrasil
  • ANK DAC 4.1x (with Duelund caps, etc)
  • Gustard R26

The rest of my system is as follows:

• CSS 2TD-x tower speakers (neutral with some mid-bass warmth)
  • ANK EL34 35W Monoblocks
  • ANK L5 Mentor Preamp
  • ANK L3 Phono V2
  • Mofi Ultradeck with Master Tracker cartridge
  • Richard Gray 600RM Pro Power Conditioner
kuhyay

You’re welcome to try out my border patrol dac in your system for a couple weeks if you want to cover the shipping… it’s Spdif only fyi.

I’m now looking into the Bifrost… any thoughts on the “2” vs the “2/64”?

They have different chips and the 2/64 is truly balanced, which is not something I need right now.
a used “2” can be purchased pretty cheaply and upgraded to the “2/64” later with a card from Schiit.

As an owner of the current version Border Patrol SE-I dac and former owner of the new Bifrost 2/64 dac, I will say these dacs can sound quite different from each other. The Bifrost 2/64 is more precise in my system, if that’s what you like, this is what it does. The Boarder Patrol SE-I with the latest choke and cap design brings something special in a different way, particularly in an already-transparent system, fwiw.

For others,

BTW: The Tube is "not" in the signal path circuit on the BP SE-I DAC, it’s part of the power supply. Switching the tube on/off does change the sound some. Nice in either positions for different results. It’s more open sounding w/tube-power supply switched [on].

Would a Okto DAC 8 stereo fit your needs, if you can pick up a Pi 4 Model B on the flee-Bay?

If you value detail and transparency, I would avoid the R2R DACs you have listed. Try a Benchmark or even an SMSL D400es or SU-10.

The small, simple $1500 Merason Frerot has pleased my ears since I added it. Great value, Swiss-made, elegant design.

Take a look at the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. It excels at clarity & detail, yet isn’t overly bright or clinical. I have mine installed in my secondary system & I’m extremely happy with it. It has toslink input & is well priced at $1300. Best bag for the buck in DACS out there IMHO & I’ve never seen a negative review. There are many online stores that will let you return it without return shipping charges. It does a great job of doubling as a preamp, too if you don’t need a lot of inputs.

I completely agree, especially if you are talking about the AKM version. I thought this DAC/Pre was going to be analytical as the Benchmark sound is not my style. I couldn't have been more wrong about the RME DAC...especially for those who are looking to get rid of their preamp.