Recommend me a DAC under 3k

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I’m expanding my all-analog system to add a proper digital front end and would like recommendations for a DAC to connect to my Wiim pro plus.

Listening Habits:

I primarily listen to LPs, but appreciate the convenience and discoverability that digital provides. I don’t have a digital music library and only stream via Tidal and Spotify. My 2-channel system does double duty as a sound system for our TV as well.

Requirements:

• All-in <= $3k
  • Prioritizes sound quality above all else
  • Streaming supports Tidal Connect directly or via some other protocol
  • TosLink Input (for casual TV)

Personal Preferences:

• When tuning components in my system, I’ve preferred ones that are more detailed/transparent rather than overly warm/harmonic. E.g. Telefunken over Amperex or Mullard. Duelund CAST over AN copper.
  • Realistic tone/timbre, soundstage, micro-detail, and impactful bass are important to me.

Currently under consideration:

• Denafrips Pontus II 12th
  • Denafrips Venus II
  • Schiit Yggdrasil
  • ANK DAC 4.1x (with Duelund caps, etc)
  • Gustard R26

The rest of my system is as follows:

• CSS 2TD-x tower speakers (neutral with some mid-bass warmth)
  • ANK EL34 35W Monoblocks
  • ANK L5 Mentor Preamp
  • ANK L3 Phono V2
  • Mofi Ultradeck with Master Tracker cartridge
  • Richard Gray 600RM Pro Power Conditioner
kuhyay

Just to say, not every DAC has a streaming (Ethernet) input. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

I have the Lab 12 DAC 1 Reference.   Smooth and zero listening fatigue with a good source upstream.    I use it primarily with my Aurender N200 and it is a nice sounding DAC.    

Don't buy a DAC in that price range without listening to it first.  Either dealer demo or preferably in your system.    It is so easy to waste money in this hobby.  Especially digital gear because there are a lot of good DACs out there and you are splitting hairs beyond a certain point.  

My first dac was an MHTD labs balanced pagoda it was around $2100. Based on some reviews here on this forum is why I bought it. It's still going strong. I think I'd have to spend quite a bit more to upgrade. 

You may be confused, you say you like clarity over warmth, yet you list the Gustard r26 as a possibility. The Gustard X26 PRO would be a lot more to your taste imo.