Recomendation on a small DAC & Headphone amp for office desk

Well I can’t listen to my Directstream / PrimaLuna with my Focal Clear headphones anymore… too far away. So I need a DAC/Headphone amp at my desk.

What do you recommend?

Use case:

• Sub $500 total for DAC/amp
  • USB to computer
  • Plays all (most?) formats (I will be using foobar and playing my library… been buying some HI Res and DSD)… if I had to give up a format, I would give up DSD as 98% of everything I own is PCM.
  • Audiophile sound… yea, no cht… but you know what I mean… most inexpensive stuff sounds dead to me… good equipment has that… um… well you know.
  • I just need a volume control and unbalanced out… will not power a system, no other interfaces needed in or out.
  • Used stuff is fine
  • NO Bluetooth or any other gimmicks
  • No other inputs needed, no preamp capabilities

I am looking at the usual suspect iFi Zen DAC V2 (not with their amp), maybe a Schiit… I dunno? I hate this mail order-only crap… dang I want to plug in and try ’em out!!!

BTW, I posted this same question over at PS Audio... I love their Directstream DAC and frequent their forums.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

bruce_philly
Thanx all, I just purchased a Woo Audio Fireflies 2nd Gen for $899. Why? Tubes. The on-line reviews were mixed but most appeared to be written by children. Oh well, now to wait... tears or cheers? Peace Bruce in Philly

I have been using a Woo Audio Fireflies amp for a few years.  Great product. I did not get the separate power supply because to me, it sounded great and the extra power supply doubled the cost.

Thanx for the update... nice to hear someone likes this product especially after you click "buy". I did not get the upgraded power supply either. In my experience, a better supply can really help the music, but at these cheaper (?!) prices, I found it makes little difference as there are other areas better suited for upgrades. IMO of course. Peace Bruce in Philly

While I have not heard the fireflies… my experiences with Woo has been terrific… they are so good at what they do, and tubes by them gets you real natural sound as well as detail and bass. I really think you are going to really like it, and long term be ready to move up their product lines… each step is amazing.

Enjoy.