Received The MC2000 Back From Expert Stylus Today

So I got the Ortofon MC2000 back from Expert today, and Mr. Hodgson did a beautiful job on this service. He fitted a new Paratrace stylus and made a minor repair to the end of the OEM cantilever. Looks as new, and there are no oddities to the stylus assembly. The Paratrace diamond is quite diminutive, barely able to be seen with my aging eyes. 

This afternoon I installed it on a very light Fidelity Research headshell, looks kind of like one of the Swiss cheese SME ones. Wired it to a T2000 transformer and then to a Graham Slee Accession. 

This is a remarkably detailed and neutral sounding cartridge. I have a few decent cartridges here and this is as good as any I have experienced. My system uses a pair of JBL 4365 speakers and a Halcro DM8 pre amp, so I have to be careful with system synergy as a too clinical component can push it over the edge. The MC2000 comes very close to doing this. I am considering a wood headshell like the Yamamoto boxwood, due to its low mass and its ability to add a touch of warmth/body to the overall sound. 

But even as it sits the transparency, the fine detail, the dynamic contrasts are all outstanding. I can tell after an evening of listening this is a keeper for me, and while its been a bit of a drawn out journey to accumulate the bits and pieces and get the cartridge serviced...well...it was worth every bit of effort. 

Yes I enjoy my Transfiguration, ZYX, and Ikeda, that is true. But I like the MC2000 every bit as much and I would get rid of a whole bunch of stuff before I ever parted with this cartridge. 

neonknight

Showing 11 responses by lewm

I just yesterday moved mine to my Triplanar, because the TP has no physical connectors between the cartridge pins and the phono input jacks, whereas the DV 505 has three sets, in addition to at the cartridge pins and at the phono inputs.  The TP has about the same effective mass as the SME V, if your numbers are correct.  Of course, I had "expectation bias" based on having reduced the number of connections in the path, but I do believe it's even better in the TP.  The jury is out, however, on bass response.  Bass seemed a little light, but I played only one or two LPs, so far, and neither is really good for judging bass (jazz guitar-ists, entirely). Since mass is probably a tad high, I would listen for a lowered resonant frequency.  Didn't hear that at all.

In the midrange, my MC2000 can be uncannily good at conveying the sense you are there at the performance. I hated when HP used the word "holographic", which was then copied by other reviewers who were not in his class linguistically, but "holographic" is one way to describe what I sometimes hear.  Some LPs are just not good enough to allow that sensation, unfortunately.

Pursuant to what Raul says about the MC2000, in his review of the MC2000, back around 1990, J Gordon Holt remarked that if one were to adhere closely to the guidelines about resonant frequency (8 to 12Hz range), the MC2000 would have to be mated to a tonearm with effective mass of 5g, because of its heavy weight and its very high compliance. (I know Raul is tired of my repeating this story; sorry.) Holt loved the MC2000, despite those warts. Ortofon never repeated themselves in terms of marketing a cartridge with such a high mass and high compliance. However, some of the latter day Audio Technica LOMC cartridges come close, although they are lighter in weight and slightly lower in compliance, which makes them much easier to deal with.

True.  Which is why I haven't bought a current-drive phono stage for the MC2000; it's the only LOMC I own that would need it.  The box built for me by Dave Slagle actually is nominally current driven, but its input impedance is higher than the output impedance (2 ohms) of the MC2000, so actually it operates in voltage drive mode.  The way I think of it, the cartridge drives the phono stage, not vice-versa.

Nikola, If I ever see one for sale (T2000), I will let you know.  In the interim there are a few sources for custom made SUTs; you can have one made with a turns ratio to suit the MC2000.  (I would favor Intact Audio, but I am biased.) But for me the way to go would be to use a current-driven phono.  The MC2000 actually makes a lot of current compared to other LOMCs, because of its very low internal resistance.  The nominal current output is .05mV/2 ohms = 25 micro-amps.  If you do that calculation for other LOMCs, the MC2000 comes out quite well up there for current output.

Nandric, I don't know what you are talking about.  I am not searching for a T2000, and I would not buy one if offered to me for a "bargain" price.  I am very happy using a step-up device custom made for me by Dave Slagle (Intact Audio), who is a friend.

Neon, I asked the question earlier, but what was the damage to the cantilever that needed repair? I ask because apart from damage that might accidentally be inflicted if one were to try to change the stylus without also changing the cantilever, I cannot imagine how to damage the tip end of a cantilever without doing some other kind of damage as well.

Raul, agree with your point about resonant frequency but I use mine in a low mass tonearm with a lightweight headshell. Anyway the last thing I’d want to change would be the high compliance of the MC2000, which I believe has a lot to due with its unique SQ. When the day comes that it needs retipping, I’d certainly consider boron, but not at the expense of high compliance.

Dear Nandric, I do refer to the MC2000 that I bought from you.  I thought you told me it was re-tipped by Axel with one of his last assemblages (cantilever and stylus) that either resembled the original or was per original Ortofon spec.  If it IS original, then all the nicer.  Definitely an aluminum cantilever with press-fitted stylus; I've examined it under my microscope.  As you already know, it is a favorite.  Based on other writings of JCarr, I would think it is best to stick with Aluminum, since the suspension, etc, was designed with the mass and flexibility of aluminum in mind.  But I would be curious how it would sound with sapphire or boron.  Sapphire would be closer to aluminum in mass, I think.

I think we went over this ground before the repair. I also have my MC2000 mounted on a DV505, using a CF headshell. Mine was retipped by Axel, with original aluminum cantilever and original or original shape stylus, which I think was press fitted (no visible epoxy). Dave Slagle made the active step up device .

Why did the cantilever need repair? The original stylus is press fitted. Was he able to do the same with the new one? What tonearm? Thx.