Recap my ailing Forte 4a?

Any advice on whether I ought to upgrade my Forte rather than identify a newer design as a replacement? The rebuild will run me around $850 with shipping costs. I was considering a used Classe but it would be at least twice the price. My 25yr old Bryston 2B, which has been temporarily pressed into service, just doesn’t cut it.
kebslew

Kebslew,

I think the suggestion to listen to some class D amplifiers is a good idea, just listen and see what you think. If you feel the Forte is better sounding (and it could be) change the capacitors and enjoy this amp for many more years. Pure class A done right is still hard to beat (sonically speaking) and has stood the test of time.

Charles

Oh alright, I'll admit it, your Forte 4a is a classic amp. Getting it recapped, even for $850, would still sound better than anything else you could get for under a couple of grand.
$850 seems a bit steep to recap though. You could probably do it yourself for less than half that price. If I recall, you are just replacing the 4 large power supply caps, right?
Firstly, let me say a big "thanks" to all who have responded. 
Secondly, I should add that the 850 is for more than just a recap. It's the price for a Jon Soderberg update that includes IXYS rectifiers and Cardas Binding Posts, plus my estimate for shipping costs both ways from here in Florida.
Admittedly I've yet to hear a class D amp that impresses me beyond the area of improved bass dynamics. Nor have I heard anything for near the current value of the Forte that has me very excited. So I will be going ahead (most likely) with the mod even though I may later decide to part with the amp.

A good idea.  You already have a number of potential buyers who posted on this thread if you do decide to sell down the road!

for $850 after the repair and upgrade, you cannot beat that amp for the price.  Unless you are  seriously considering spending quite a bit more money for another amp, I would keep that amp and upgrade/repair it for that costs.

Again, if you have the money, then by all means, consider another amp.  If you are staying in the used category and still want solid  state, then for around the $2000 category, recapped mark Levinson ML3 (yes I recently sold one), classe 201 and 301 amps are very nice, and there are many others, including Threshold, Bedini to name a few.

These are relatively easy to work on by a good technician.

Don't stress over this.  Even if you repair/upgrade  the amp and decide later you want to sell it, you won't have much trouble selling it for a good price.

So, do what's comfortable for you and enjoy.