Re: streaming recommendations for newbie

Hi,

I'd like to finally enter the streaming world with my hifi system and am looking for recommendations.  I have streaming music in my car and on my computer, but I can't currently access any streaming services on my hifi system because I have tube gear and neither it nor my old backup gear have streaming capacity or a DAC (other than the CD player).  

I guess that I need to buy both a streamer and a DAC?  I now have a pretty decent hifi system, but I want start out with modest priced streaming gear.    

Can anyone recommend a streamer & DAC, or unit that does both?  Does it make sense to put more $$ in a DAC or in a steamer?  Not sure about budget, but I'm thinking $500-1000 used for both as a starting point. Thank you.

Terry

tlh28

@tlh28, you’re getting a lot of good recommendations here. If I were starting to put a streaming setup together from scratch I’d use a laptop as a music source initially because of the variety of inputs available, and you can also use that platform to try the many different streaming services and hopefully find one that you enjoy. Then you can decide how you want to listen to your music. Speakers at home, headphones, or on the go. As far as a DAC I’d checkout something like an iFi Zen One Signature. 

@soix thanks a bunch- as it happens I back up all FLAC files on an external storage device so maybe I’m ahead of the game there. I would like to move away from the laptop so that’s great advice. Sorry but I still don’t understand how to use an Ethernet cable to get this done- I’m not very tech savvy so my learning curve is vertical! My router is on a separate floor from the system and I currently run eero mesh to strengthen the signal to the other floor (basement). So is using an Ethernet cable still possible? I’d prefer not to rely on WiFi… Because I already have a separate DAC I think I’m looking for just a server - if my understanding is correct… looking forward to getting this done so appreciate the help! 

My router is on a separate floor from the system and I currently run eero mesh to strengthen the signal to the other floor (basement). So is using an Ethernet cable still possible?

Absolutely.  You just need another Mesh node near your streamer and run an Ethernet cable from that node to the streamer and USB from the streamer to your DAC and you’re golden for streaming. Using the Node as an example, you can then just run a USB cable from your external drive into the Node and now all your music will be available from the Node.  You’re very close since you already have Mesh and music on an external drive.

I use a separate DAC which uses the new ESS9032Q2M which for single ended use with the SET preamp and amp, outperforms R2R ladder DACs. (Some reviewers consider the more expensive R2R ladder DAC better for balanced output.) 

I purchased a Bluesound Vault 2i a few years ago. While it does stream any classical music station in the world and other sources, it does not lend itself to storing my CD collection in its enormous memory. Calling up a composer and a symphony, overture, or a concerto is impossibly complicated because it is designed for pop songs accessed by song title and singer or group. I have to put my CD collection on a flash drive with folders for each composer and this often does not work the right way. Downloads do not always get onto the flash drive in a playable format. 

What I manage to keep on the flash drive does sound spectacular with the separate DAC that can also take that disc player as a digital source.  

Follow up from 4/18,

’’@soix , yesterday I tried to handshake my phone to the Oppo, no dice. Did a google search & came up with an Oppo app for my droid. No dice there too. I can connect my Comp. via Cat 6 wire. I have an Creative sound card there. I’ll give that a try. I also tried the Comp. via bluetooth & didn’t like the SQ. I have to say that, using my phone to steam Tidal was better than the Comp via bluetooth.’’

The only way to connect my droid to the Oppo was to download Roon to my phone & eliminate my AVR via bluetooth. I’m still processing Roon via wifi to the Oppo, but I can’t make out if there’s a difference in SQ. So then I downloaded Roon to my Comp to see if there was any improvement in SQ. Again, I can’t desifier if it’s any better than Tidal alone. I’m going to give it a few more days & see if it’ll get any better.

I have a 14 day trial from Roon, I shall see.