Re: streaming recommendations for newbie

Hi,

I'd like to finally enter the streaming world with my hifi system and am looking for recommendations.  I have streaming music in my car and on my computer, but I can't currently access any streaming services on my hifi system because I have tube gear and neither it nor my old backup gear have streaming capacity or a DAC (other than the CD player).  

I guess that I need to buy both a streamer and a DAC?  I now have a pretty decent hifi system, but I want start out with modest priced streaming gear.    

Can anyone recommend a streamer & DAC, or unit that does both?  Does it make sense to put more $$ in a DAC or in a steamer?  Not sure about budget, but I'm thinking $500-1000 used for both as a starting point. Thank you.

Terry

tlh28

Thanks to all for your insights and suggestions. Much appreciated as I try to wotk my way to adding streaming!

So just to be a bit clearer, I should be looking at a music server - minus a DAC - because I have an external Liberty DAC I use for playing FLAC files from my computer. The DAC connects to the laptop via USB and to my integrated amp. So I should be able to connect the DAC to the server and stream, for example, Tidal. Is this correct? Will I need additional cables to connect? Will the server use WiFi to connect to Tidal? BTW, the stereo system is not near the router so a wired connection to both that and the DAC isn’t possible. Thanks for the guidance!

@aheydorn Personally if I’m you I’d look to download the FLAC files from the computer to an external drive and connect that to the streamer (the Node can do this BTW) so you can have all your music along with your streamed music combined in the same place and no need for the computer anymore — all your music will now be accessible via the streamer’s app, which is a beautiful thing. All you’d need is to run a USB cable, which you obviously already have, from the streamer to your DAC. Also, you should avoid running your streamer with Wi-Fi for both better sound and signal reliability, and this can be done easily by getting a Wi-Fi extender from TP Link, etc. or a Mesh system (Orbi, etc.) and then running an Ethernet cable from that to your streamer — much better, relatively inexpensive, and easy peasy. Be excited as your music enjoyment is about to expand exponentially!

Just to clarify some terms because it can be confusing, a streamer just streams music in real time from a streaming service/source whereas a server stores music that can then be transferred to another device. There are combo streamer/servers that stream and also have onboard storage so you can load files directly into them (the Bluesound Vault does this as do units from Innuos, Aurender, etc.) so there’s no need for an external drive, which is really nice. This may not be 100% technically correct but it’s how I understand/define it in my very rudimentary way and hope it’s helpful.

I’m not aware of a less expensive high quality way to get into streaming than with the AudioQuest Cobalt DAC. It only costs a few hundred bucks. I also bought a quality AudioQuest cable for it. It plugs into your laptop. So for about 600 bucks you’ve in business! I use Qobuz and Audirvana for the software. I can control the streaming from my iphone.

This set up is crazy good and will most likely blow away all of your other sources!

Join my private Facebook group to get answers to hifi questions. There are experts from around the world on the platform. It's called: HiFi and music media releases.