Re: streaming recommendations for newbie

Hi,

I'd like to finally enter the streaming world with my hifi system and am looking for recommendations.  I have streaming music in my car and on my computer, but I can't currently access any streaming services on my hifi system because I have tube gear and neither it nor my old backup gear have streaming capacity or a DAC (other than the CD player).  

I guess that I need to buy both a streamer and a DAC?  I now have a pretty decent hifi system, but I want start out with modest priced streaming gear.    

Can anyone recommend a streamer & DAC, or unit that does both?  Does it make sense to put more $$ in a DAC or in a steamer?  Not sure about budget, but I'm thinking $500-1000 used for both as a starting point. Thank you.

Terry

tlh28

I’m going to try to eliminate the Onkyo & see if my phone & the Oppo shake hands.

@danmar123 Great that you’re getting the AVR outta your 2-channel signal path as that’s a huge bottleneck to performance. I started streaming from my iPhone using the Apple Camera Adapter to run USB into my DAC with Qobuz, and it sounded good until I realized CDs sounded significantly better, which was very disappointing. Following advice from people here I got a streamer (an inexpensive iFi Zen Stream) and my streaming immediately sounded as good or better than CDs — literally a night and day difference. So while the iPhone is certainly a cheap and easy way to get started, if you’re concerned with sound quality you should plan on getting a streamer down the road. Just my experience FWIW.

@soix , yesterday I tried to handshake my phone to the Oppo, no dice. Did a google search & came up with an Oppo app for my droid. No dice there too. I can connect my Comp. via Cat 6 wire. I have an Creative sound card there. I'll give that a try. I also tried the Comp. via bluetooth & didn't like the SQ. I have to say that, using my phone to steam Tidal was better than the Comp via bluetooth.  

@tlh28 welcome to the streaming journey, it’s awesome to have such a vast category of music at your finger tips.  The ability to get streaming sound quality on par with analogue is achievable.  It can be a finicky journey though.  Clean power supplies, jitter free Ethernet or Fiber Optic signals often dominate discussions.  Do a search on this topic as there are a lot of threads on it and there are a lot of varying opinions. 

General rule of garbage in and garbage out applies with streaming, that’s where having a quality streamer and power supply for the digital chain is key.  Once you have that, tons of debate on if streamers really play a role in overall sound quality.  Some will swear they can make a big difference, others would point toward say a Blusound Node 2i with an upgraded power supply and say going beyond that is a fools errand.  

Most agree that in the digital chain, a DAC will play a bigger roll in the sound quality and sound signature than a streamer.  Separates are a great idea, makes it a lot easier to upgrade or simply tweak your digital chain by swapping out DAC’s.  DAC’s are also a rabbit hole, there are a lot of different designs, R2R, Tube Staged, FPAG, different DAC chip manufactures, Sabre, AKM.  

Node 2i is where many, me included start their journey but some of the other recommendations are also really good.  I would potentially shift a bit, but a used streamer from Aurilac or Lumin, both dedicated to the digital market, spend your budget on the streamer, use the DAC you have in your CD player for now.  You’ll then be in a great spot to upgrade your DAC but you may find there is no need to.  

Important when you look at streamers to look for streamers that have a variety of outputs and understand, which output provides the best sound quality, synergy between a streamer and DAC’s are key, some DAC’s will sound best in a fully balanced system or when using a USB input, some streamers are designed to sound best using one of the several output options.  The App that you use to manage the streaming is huge, don’t overlook that.  If you like the interface of the App for the streamer you are using, things will be fantastic, if you don’t or the manufacture doesn’t support updates, improvements and hasn’t developed a serious App to manage streaming, even if things sound good, you’ll likely be unhappy.  The Node has a great app, probably in my opinion the easiest to navigate, most flexible on the different streaming services supported.  Aurilac and Lumin have great Apps, little more finicky than the Node but I think overall the quality of their streamers offsets the ease of use / flexibility of the Node App.

Good Luck, read up on all the different opinions and find the solutions that work best for you.  Don’t sleep on used gear, I think you can land a streamer used that you won’t have to upgrade anytime soon which would be a great foundation to start with.  

Thanks to all for your insights and suggestions. Much appreciated as I try to wotk my way to adding streaming!

So just to be a bit clearer, I should be looking at a music server - minus a DAC - because I have an external Liberty DAC I use for playing FLAC files from my computer. The DAC connects to the laptop via USB and to my integrated amp. So I should be able to connect the DAC to the server and stream, for example, Tidal. Is this correct? Will I need additional cables to connect? Will the server use WiFi to connect to Tidal? BTW, the stereo system is not near the router so a wired connection to both that and the DAC isn’t possible. Thanks for the guidance!