Racks, equipment and footers

I would like to get a new rack and isolation footers for the rack and/or equipment. The high-end stuff like HRS, might be best, but it's out of my budget. There are so many choices, especially of footers. I'm thinking of going with a nice enough wood rack for aesthetic reasons and footers under each of the components to maximize performance. The system is upstairs with a wooden floor.  No turntable. Questions:

• should I put footers under the rack and/or just the components?
  •  What about spikes - to drain rather than springs, so I avoid springs interacting with springs
  • if I'm going to put footers under each component, does the material,  construction, weight, etc. of the rack still matter much?
  •  It would be cheaper to just put footers under the rack and leave the components with the rubber feet -  is this less effective?
  • Should I put the same footers under all the components, or is it mix-and-match?

Any thoughts welcome along with specific recommendations on footers.

paullb

Maple seems like a popular safe choice, but panzerholtz seems like one of the best but is very expensive 

I used cherry on mine (see profile), but maple, oak, walnut, amongst others will work fine.  None of these will "sag" over time, even over a 42 plus inch span for those that want a double wide rack.

I use Timbernation racks with Herbie’s Audio Lab isolation products under each component.  Have found the combination provides good results at modest cost compared to some alternatives.  Visually very attractive as well - check my system photos.

Good luck!

I just set up a pre-owned core audio three tier rac. I’m quite impressed. It’s beautiful, obviously well-built, and sounds great. Clear improvement over my previous end table. A low bar, perhaps, but significantly better nonetheless. Playing a few of my favorite test tracks, the sound is more relaxed, details are more clear, spatial information is better, transient are crisper and bass a little bit more impactful. I love the combination of more revealing while also more relaxed.

i’m also very impressed with the proprietor, Arnold. After emailing him a few times he told me that a repeat customer just had a custom rack built and had exactly what I was looking for. I contacted the owner and the piece I purchased looks fantastic, I don’t see a scratch anywhere, and I got a great deal. How many folks would help a a customer and somebody they’ve only emailed a few times. Highly recommended.