Qs about Grace F-9 U cartridge

Hello, I read here, on the forum; a long discussion about this cartridge with many enthusiastic (even ecstatic) opinions.

I would like to know is it really an absolutely outstanding cartridge and which version is worth acquiring (because there are many). I understood that a "ruby" version is very good but what about a " U " version. I am proposed Grace F-9U

in a very good condition (see pics

for some 500 usd. Do you think the price is correct?

Thank you very much

Serge

serge8

Thank you .... But

F9E is elliptical, if I don’t make a mistake, and F9U is line contact (or shibata) if I am correct.

I always thought that shibata was a better form for the needle

and more expensive. If I decide to spend money, should not I buy the best available F9U for 500 usd than a cheaper but more ordinary F9E ?

Never heard of the U version but it may not have been exported from Japan. Price is not the only criterion for what constitutes a good deal. In a used cartridge, condition is 99% of the deal, in my book. Does the seller have the original container, and does it read “9U”? That would prove it’s OEM and not a re-tip, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Yes I’d expect a Shibata to outperform an E version, and yes these are great cartridges.

So, you've answered your own question.  If you're satisfied with the story that goes along with any used cartridge, then buy it.  Worst case scenario, if you're not happy, is you can change to a sapphire cantilever + LC stylus per the services of Soundsmith.  I did that with my OEM Grace Ruby, and I found it to be a major upgrade.

Well, thank you, I will think it over ....I have such excellent cartridges with original needles as Victor x-1/II, pioneer pc-600,  shure V-15III, AT 150MLC, sony XL-45, all MM, and only one but very excellent victor mc-5E (MC),

I wonder is Grace F9 U at the same level, and will I hear more wor different of what I hear already with what I have?

Is Your Ruby Grace F9 your best cartridge and what you compare it with?