Preamp or DAC

Hello all. My system consists of the following:

Coda 16 Amp, Coda 07x preamp, Holo May KTE Dac, Aurender N20, Legacy Audio Signature SE speakers and a pair of REL 812 subs. I am considering changing either the preamp or Dac. I would like to go with tubes. Would you think I would get more sq change in changing the preamp or Dac? I am thinking Dac but I wanted to hear your opinions. Considering ARC, new Don Sachs or Aric Audio in pres and Lampizator or other in DACs. So, would the preamp or DAC make a bigger difference? I will say I have a $12k to $15k budget.

Thanks

backdoor

You already have a top-flight DAC. The Coda pres are not nearly as good as their amps. As such, I think you’re better off going with a new preamp.

Thanks for all the feedback. You have given me a lot to think about. The impedance issue for sure I had not thought about yet. Generally, there seems to be a split decision on preamp first or Dac first. Honestly, when I asked the question I thought the answers would be Dac first but many feel preamp will make the most difference. But then I do need to look at possible impedance issues.  

2 suggestions.

1. Aesthetix Pandora (tubes) w/optional volume control, replace DAC & pre-amp.

2. Meitner MA3 no tubes but includes volume control, replace DAC & pre-amp.

I would look at the Ayon S 5 network player. This functions as a pre amp, incorporates a Dac and uses tubes.

@audphile1 is correct about the impedance matching.

However the input impedance, single ended, into the Coda 16 is 50K OHMS. Balanced input, the impedance is 10K OHMS.

If a single ended preamp is chosen, the 50K input should be just dandy for the majority of preamps available.