Preamp for Halo A21 and/or B&K ST2140

I have been stalking the boards for some time lusting over a new preamp. My price keeps dropping as reality sets in. I started at $2,500 and am now down to $1,200. I have been looking close at the CJs, primarily PV-14L. I love the looks of the ET2 but it’s slightly above my $range. Are there any other preamps under $1,200 that anyone would recommend over the PV-14L? I see some names I hear a lot about, like Simaudio Moon (P3), Classe (CP-50/CP-60), Quicksilver, and Bel Canto.

I listen to all kinds of music, but mostly classic rock, alt country, folk rock, blues, old school country, some jazz and occasionally classical.  

I have two main requirements:
  • I need a remote since it will be attached to a TV 
  • I need RCA outputs so I can hook up my sub
I haven’t decided if this will grace my main rig or basement rig. In my main system I would put it between my Cambridge 851N and then use the 851N as a DAC instead of a DAC/pre combo. In the basement it would replace a Rotel RC-980BX. My amps are either Parasound Halo A21 or B&K ST2140. Both have an input impedance of 33 Kohms.

I haven’t got full authority to make a purchase yet but I need to be ready when I do :)
treebeard1

Showing 3 responses by milpai

I am not suggesting a preamp.
But wanted to let you know that you need to choose one which has a XLR out to the A21. The Parasound A21 sounds in a completely different league when connected via XLR to the preamp. This has been my experience in my system. YMMV.
Yes treebread1, the A21 is not a true balanced amp. But I believe the XLR inputs are more optimized than the RCA, at least in my setup. Can you try to connect the 851N and A21 with RCA and see if makes any difference?
Ok, then can you try to get similar quality XLR and RCA? I tested with similar quality XLR and RCAs, and for me there was quite a difference. Mind you, my preamp is unconventional, so that could have made a difference.