Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Its been a few days since i put the TSRP6sn7s in;the first few hours they did sound thin,but within a few hours the sound started filling out ,,compared to the EH6sn7 they lack a small bit of slam,but are easier on my ears,they present the music in a more natural way,very well balanced sound,great tone,compared to the Kenrad VT231 Blackglass,they are more open,natural sounding,tighter bass,better detail,much quieter,not quite as holographic,but i think they are truer to the music,a very musical tube!!IMHO!Ive yet to try a tube that sounded bad in my Chardonnay,just diff.
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help with a question regarding the output for the Cortese. I need to use a bypass for home theater. I know that Mitch offers an HT bypass, but I have a chance to get a Cortese on Audiogon, but it doesn't have a bypass, only a tape loop. Does anyone know if, in fact, these are one and the same?
thanks,
Michael
Good question.
I have a Cortese. It finally arrived last week. This pre is amazing. Worth the wait.
My question is the reverse: Can the HT bypass be used as an output to a reel to reel?
I am using balanced IC's to my amps. Balanced and unbalanced outputs can not be used at the same time with the Cortese.
The HT bypass is used to "pass" an external processor or other source directly to the output of the Cortese. The signal goes through untouched. The HT bypass is not an output of any kind. If you want an output to a reel to reel, use the tape monitor loop by plugging the input of the reel to reel into the "REC" unbalanced outputs (see diagram in the owner's manual). That's better than using the unbalanced outputs of the Cortese (actually you can't if you're using the balanced outputs already)because the reel to reel would be getting a full signal from the Cortese, unaffected by the volume settings.
As far as the other question from Michael Smith, that would depend if the signal that you want to pass through has already gone through a gain stage. If it's coming from the front channel outputs of a standalone DVD player, it's cleaner than if the signal is coming from the front outputs of a processor with volume control because the signal is will pass through 2 gain stages, but it's still doable...just not as clean as a true HT bypass which ensures that the signal will only pass through 1 gain stage and you would not have to set the volume for the front speakers both on the HT Processor and on the Cortese. Hope that helps.