Power Cord for Accuphase Amplifier

I have a new Accuphase P-4600 amplifier and am looking for a power cord to replace the stock. So far I’ve tried the Cullen Crossfire and the IceAge OFC Frankencable. While both cables have worked well on my source components they have not performed better than the stock on the amplifier. So to those who have Accuphase amplifiers what power cable has worked for you?

As I mentioned in other threads Accuphase strongly recommends that you use only the stock cord and so far that has been the best. The. other two have resulted in a darker sound with less soundscape openness. 

I’ve been trying to stay under $500 for the cord but would be willing to go a little higher if it improves the amps performance. 

jfrmusic

@mbmi, 

I guess you overlooked the following recommendation,

“The system can be further optimized by the use of Ansuz Mainz Power cables. They complement the power distributor with a strong grounding conductor as well as various shielding and noise suppressing technologies.”

@jfrmusic "Accuphase strongly recommends that you use only the stock cord and so far that has been the best"

why not to rely on on Accuphase advice and to start enjoy music?

Accuphase Engineers choose carefully IEC receptacle for amps and cable to active highest performance and not to damage amp using unknown plugs, which typically could rip off contact’s plating/make scratches etc.

"Accuphase strongly recommends that you use only the stock cord "

- That is because they are not going to recommend an aftermarket power cord because most are not UL approved and ones they provide are relativity inexpensive. They don’t want to be liable if there is an issue and keeps their costs down, not because it sounds better.

westcoastaudiophile

249 posts

@jfrmusic "Accuphase strongly recommends that you use only the stock cord and so far that has been the best"

why not to rely on on Accuphase advice and to start enjoy music?

Because we’re enthusiasts here always looking for ways to improve sound and our listening experience. This hobby is about music, the gear that reproduces it, and the quality of the reproduction. If it’s music only enjoyment, any $50 half decent Bluetooth speaker would suffice  

Accuphase Engineers choose carefully IEC receptacle for amps and cable to active highest performance and not to damage amp using unknown plugs, which typically could rip off contact’s plating/make scratches etc.

Accuphase like all manufacturing include a decent certified power cable that gets you started. There’s nothing wrong with trying a good aftermarket power cord to scratch the upgrade itch, satisfy curiosity and may be improve presentation. No plugs will scratch the IEC connectors. I’ve not seen one yet with any of the power cords I ever used. 

@audiophile1 "No plugs will scratch the IEC connectors"

as an experienced analog design engineer I can say this is not correct! typically product from established hi-end company chooses IEC receptacle and plug (or assembled cable) from one company (Kawasaki, Amphenol, etc), which ensures reliability and interconnect performance for decades, because interconnect is checked many times and contacts are inspected for scratches, plating surface damages etc. 

wondering, if you ever looked IEC plug/rec. under microscope after experiments? Please keep in mind, after you scratch contact surface, contact resistance could dramatically  increase, and then plugging “new fancy” cord will give you relief for few days.. then you need to try to “improve” sound again, by buying new PC :-)