Power Conditioners

Not sure if I placed it in the correct topic but here goes. I was just wondering how power conditioners work, as I want to buy one. There are conditioners with only filtered inputs and conditioners with some filtered inputs and some unfiltered. I believe the unfiltered ones are for analogue devices. But why should these go into the unfiltered part? If I buy a power conditioner for example with only filtered inputs, will I not be able to put my class A amp in? Or will it have a negative effect?
sjeesjie

Showing 2 responses by mgrif104

+1 @nonoise

Far too many people here post based on belief, not on experience. Of course, i can understand that because I used to hold a similar belief.  It’s true that some of us live in noisier environments so they might benefit more from conditioning.  However, it’s also true that the grid itself is a very noisy environment. 

I ended up buying an Audioquest Niagara 5000.  I was told by the dealer that every person who’s auditioned it at home has bought one.  I plugged it in and the difference was dramatic and obvious within seconds.  No placebo here either as I was skeptical and expecting marginal to no difference it - I’ve owned and auditioned several other conditioners in without such significant results.

I’d suggest what is always reasonable advice - try one in your own system.  If you don’t like the results for cost, move on.  But, fairly significant improvements are available - in addition to protecting your gear.  
Mk00

the answer is yes - others heard the difference easily. I have had a number of conditioners in the past.  None were cheap and none really made a sizable difference, but I wanted to protect gear.  My dealer suggested I audition a Niagara 5000. The difference was plainly and immediately audible. I didn’t have to squint and ask myself what was I hearing.  My reaction about 5 seconds into the audition was “crap now I’ll be spending $4k”.  Obviously, every situation is different such as quality of power coming into the house and the gear you’re using, so YMMV.  For what it’s worth, my local dealer told me that every customer who’s auditioned the Niagara at home has purchased one.  I was sincerely hoping to prove him wrong.