Platter Upgrade for Garrard 301

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my analog system to the next level up from my VPI scout. I've heard alot of talk about great performance from a Garrard 301 coupled with a upgraded plinth that I could buy from various sources, such as Oswald Mill Audio or Shindo, among others. However, I rarely hear about other upgrades for the Garrard. Isn't the platter a key component that should be a contender for an upgrade? I know Shindo makes such a platter, but they seem to be ultra expensive. There must be a less expensive alternative? Also, what other upgrades should I consider to a Garrard? Thanks, Mark
mcmprov
the aussie's, it's well made quite a bit larger and the bearing itself is extremely hefty and machined to tight tolerances. Makes a big difference. there are pictures of it over at the AA site. search post for kozzmo.

David
Hi there. I have started down my 301 path as well, and have got a platter made of forged copper. Machined to the same dimensions as the original. Not sure how it sounds though as I don't have it running ... using a L75 in massive plinth in the meantime while I work on the 301 :)
With all due respect, isn't the Rockport itself now somewhat in the realm of "great tables from the past"?...
The idea of it being still in the top rung of tt's is fine but the "standard bearer" still, i think not!
Two quotes come to mind...
The emperor's "new" clothes and
'it is what it is"...

Several old and new tables are being "improved" as we speak...more to taste or a pricepoint then to a superior level...Different isn't always better!
ok...so after enjoying a vpi aries for a few years, I am finally ordering a plinth from Mr. Dobbins. I am wondering if anybody has any updated thoughts on the platter upgrade? I'll be sure to order the Loricratft power supply as well.
Chris at Artisan Fidelity is rumored to be working on a new platter and oil/grease bearing for the 301 and 401 Garrard models. Rumor has it their new Lenco bearings are out of this world. The Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 is supposedly going to be finished and shown on the website sometime soon. From what I gather, it will somewhat resemble a Shindo 301 style of plinth but with obviously a much nicer fit and finish. A buddy told me they have been working on a plinth design tuned especially for the Garrard 301 and 401 models for over a year.
I've been working on my 301 project for over a year and like most people it's more about the project than whether this is the greatest turntable known to mankind. My 301 sounds wonderful but most importantly it looks great. I used mahogany stained the colour of a Gibson guitar ie cherry red. I figured if it's good for a guitar it can't be bad for a garrard. Well it turned out even more spectacular than I could have hoped. The craftsman I found ended up sanding and lacquering over 20 layers. We are putting in a Kokomo bearing it has an oyaide platter mat. The arm is a 12 inch ortofon with a decca London ref. I have already done a thorens 160 (in piano black) and have a 125 lined up. It great to do these old turntables and people just drool over them. Have fun enjoy.