Phono preamp with best mid bass

Let me explain my ideal sound and see if you guys have any suggestions. I realize speakers and and every other things contributes but looking for a phono that leans naturally toward the sound I’m looking for. 

I like a strong mid/upper bass that is highly articulated. Highs that are not overdone and natural. Sub bass is not as important for the music I listen to but what’s down there I prefer punchy rather than big. Natural mids that are well defined. Detailed but not to an extent that compromises robustness or gets too analytical. 

Been looking at the tube models. Rogue Ares looks intriguing as they mention some of the traits I am looking for in the reviews I’ve read. 

thanks

mofojo

Showing 1 response by avanti1960

Not sure what your budget is but I had the best midbass with my turntable when the lower bass was filtered and didn't waste amplifier power.  

The Lehmann Audio Decade and Black Cube SEII have bass filters that begin cutting the output below 50 to 25 Hz.  

This results in a tighter mid bass punch with more snap and definition. 

Not many phono preamps have bass filters anymore but when used successfully they do improve the sound by cutting inaudible groove and platter rumble.