Passive preamp

Hello. I wanted to learn more about running a preamp in passive mode versus active mode.  Am I correct in thinking that passive mode means it is not altering the audio signal?  My question relates to a Schiit Frida s that I am using in passive mode, using it essentially as a switching device.  Am I missing anything?.   

128x128grantgg

There’s more to it than just active vs. passive. It boils down to an overall design, quality of parts, power supply. There’s no such thing as a wire with gain. Anything in the signal chain will impart its sonic signature. A good property designed active preamp with beefy power supply always wins in my experience. Solid state or tubed. In case of tubes you have the added 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion that makes tubes sound pleasing (softer and fuller and in high end preamps no sacrifice in resolution and holographic soundstage). Personal preference, synergy and your perception of ideal sound is what will make it or break it. If you like your Schiit in passive mode, just enjoy it!

My worry is that your system is good as your weakest link.  Which might be the schiit.  I'm using a Starkrimson Ultra class D amp (which I just added), and Dynaudio Heritage Specials as well as Innous Zen mk3 and Bricasti M3 DAC. I was hoping that a 'budget' preamp might work in passive mode.  But I'm having second thoughts now.