Pass Then vs. Pass Now

Hi 'Goners. 

Long time lurker, first time poster hoping to receive some wisdom from the community. Thinking about an upgrade (aren't we all?) Currently powering Devore Gibbon 3xl with a Rogue Audio Sphinx v3 and am inclined to try out some class A solid state amplification. I was a long time happy owner of a little Adcom GFA535. (I bought it in college in '88 and just let go of it two years ago!) That got me interested in trying out another Pass design. I have been weighing a Threshold400A vs. an XA30.8

Anyone have experience with Devore Gibbons and either of those amps, or thoughts on whether the newer PASS is worth triple the going price of the vintage  piece?

Open to any other suggestions on where to go from here with the system as well. For discussion, I  live in an apartment and use it almost exclusively for vinyl. I am a musical omnivore. The front end is a Clearaudio Performance DC with Tracer tonearm and Hana SL running through a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2. If I upgrade the amp I plan to continue to use the tube pre in the Rogue Audio integrated, for now. 

Thank you in advance for your input. Your time is much appreciated.

Shawn

theschwartz

I have not heard the bigger commercial Pass amps but I just changed over for the season from my Rogue Sphinx v2 to my DIY Pass F6. Despite their very different topologies,Class D with tubes, Class A, they have more in common than different. Mainly I would say the F6 throws a bigger stage and does reveal some more texture and detail. But both are great driving my KEF LS50s supplemented by a trio fo Syzygy subs.

I would consider the change to Pass just that, a change not necessarily an upgrade. But then I don't look at hifi as a competition. Like Nelson P often says, it is just entertainment. It is supposed to be fun.

Audiogon is a little strange in that things here so often get heated, like this is some kind of contest to see who has the best system. Not my view. There are many things to appreciate in many, many systems. My rule is never overstretch your budget because there is fun to be had at all price levels. Building is a lot of fun, better than just spending money. Check out the DIY store if you are into Nelson Pass. An ampcamp amp is a fine little piece of class a equipment within the capabilities of almost anybody who has the will and the time to build one...and you will also encounter a very nice on-line community that seldom argues and always helps.