Pass Labs X350.5 vs. Cary SA-500.1 monoblocks

Greetings all. I'm thinking of "upgrading" from a Pass Labs X350.5 to Cary SA-500.1 monoblocks.  Soliciting your considered opinion, please.  Rest of system: Esoteric K-03X CD, Cary SLP-05 preamp, KEF Blade speakers. Acoustic Zen and Audioquest cables.  Thanks for weighing in!

128x128expoobident

Buy with the option to return.  The Cary SLP-05 (which I own) has very high gain and even though you are pairing with a Cary power amp, it is still a gain miss match, which I am baffled over.  

The SA 500.1 is similar to the 200.2 which I used to own.  The 500.1 has 28db gain which when paired with the SLP 05 will give you a very touchy volume control (e.g. 8-o'clock will be near full volume), a lack of refinement and a very forward midrange sound.  

Dynamics will be hyper real.  Not a sound I could appreciate.  

I am running my SLP-05 with a 20db gain Pass Labs XA25 and the pairing is perfect.  Obviously not very good with your speakers but I recommend an amp with 20 to 22db or adjustable gain- e.g. the Parasound JC1s.  

I just bought a Pass Labs XA30.8 which has 26db gain and have to use inline attenuators which are a band aid.  

Seek an amp with low or adjustable gain- Bryston amps are also adjustable.