Ordered a Willsenton R300

Everything I have read about this 300b tube amp has been very positive, particularly Steve Huff's review on his website.  I have always thought I would love the sound of 300b tubes and this is my chance to get one for a very modest price.  It ought to drive my Spatial Audio M4 Triode Masters very nicely.  I will report back my impressions of the amp when it is fully revealed to me. 

whitestix

Showing 17 responses by whitestix

I bought it on Amazon for the oppty to return it if I don't fancy it. I think it can be sourced cheaper from China, but with more hassle, possibly. My tube guru Don Sachs has created a new 300b amp that he claims is significantly better than my Kootenai KT88 amp so this Willsenton amp might be my "gateway drug" to Don's new amp.  His Kootenai amp is superb.

evank

Good for you.  Shocking how inexpensively China can produce these amps.

I don't see any shipping date for my unit yet. The other thing that swung my decision to buy the amp was that repairs are available domestically. 

Charles1dad,

Don gave me quite a detailed summary of the internals of his 300b, which he is developing in association with Lynn Olson.  As with his other gear, he believes it will far outperform much more expensive 300b amps on the market.  I will suggest to Don that he chime in on this thread if he is interested in a further description of his new amp. 

Good for you.   I note that my expected delivery time period is between 11/10 and 11/29.  

I was an early purchaser of the LS50 and I struggled to make them sing with a 175 wpc Plinius SS integrated amp.  I agree with Charles1dad that the R300 would not be a good match. 

gregdude,

I do use Don's preamp, being the 3rd purchaser of his initial version and now with the latest and greatest version.  It is a fantastic match for the Kootenai.   I bought a Wells Audio Innamorata SS amp earlier this year -- by far the greatest SS I have ever had, and by memory I thought it might be more revealing than the Kootenai.  I swapped them recently and it took just a few moments to realize that the Kootenai was much better.  I won't be parting with either.   I would like to compare the Supratek Chandonnay preamp to Don's sometime.   Whitestix

Don makes a good point, mirroring what others who are aware of how better caps, etc, improve the sound of electronics.   The labor cost is no different if one puts in plebian caps vs better caps, the delta is just the cost difference in the caps.  Not that one has to go to Mundorf Silver/Oil or Dueland caps, but am sure that Don is right that for a modest additional cost, ~$100 in better caps would likely make the amp a better performer.  Charles is right too in that they design to a price point and decisions about components must be made within those constraints.  I did see another Chifi integrated amp for sale for $750 which a couple of owners liked very much, which just amazes me.  How do they do it?  

I was informed that the amp would arrive at the end of November, but it actually showed up today!  I have it connected to my Gallo Strada's playing an FM jazz station.  The amp is a heavy beast and the fit and finish seems first rate, particularly at this price point; it looks just beautiful. The pots turn with a firm ease.  It has 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps.  It was double-packaged with good foam around it.  It comes with very good instructions.

Right out of the box, I was enveloped with a warm and luscious sound with a sweet sense of immediacy to the music.  Now I will admit that I have liked most amps I have owned, but moved up or sideways from them.  However, this is exactly the sound I was hoping for so perhaps I am hearing what I seek to hear.  It likely needs plenty of hours to run in, but rarely have I heard brand new amps sound this good right out of the box.  This doesn't sound like my Wells Audio Immorata SS amp or Don Sachs' tube amp at all... such a nice midrange and warm sound.  More in due time. 

Thanks for the encouragement, Charles.  One potential limitation is the modest output of the amp.  I can almost turn it WFO with my Gallo Stradas which are 87 db sensititive and I could possibly bear it a bit louder (briefly), but still pretty much wide open, the speakers do not distort.  My Spatial M4 Triode Masters will be an easier load to drive.  One other thing.  The amp runs really hot so one needs plenty of space around the amp to allow it to dissipate the heat. 

Gents,

I have had the amp running for most of a week, now powering my Spatial M4 Triode Masters.  I had a musician pal come by last weekend to listen to some music. He knows my system very well and noticed the difference right away with the new amp controlled by my Sachs preamp.   The music seems so alive and realistic that I listen for hours, just palpably real.  Driving the Spatials as loud as I could tolerate, there was nary a hint of distortion or breakup.  If the amp doesn't capture the top of the top end, it is not a bother as my ears don't hear much above 9 kHZ.  The mid-range is just sublime, warm and seductive.  Reliability aside for the moment, I will go out on a limb and say that this amp is very near the top of my list of reasonably-priced audio gear that delivers on its promises (at the top of the list is my Oppo 103D).  This amp needs the proper speakers to perform its best... as Charles said above, "The more efficient the speakers, the better the results."  As with the 6SN7's, there is real magic in 300b tubes.   Heck, there is magic in all tubes!  If the Class D designers can reproduce this sort of sound, then they are really on to something.  My VTV Audio amp with the Purifi module, while very good, sounds nothing like this Willsenton amp.  

Charles, 

Thanks for you encouragement.  You are the standard bearer on this forum for civility, audio knowledge, and good judgment... it has always been a pleasure to read your posts.  

I am using the amp as a power amp at the moment, connected to my tube preamp. I assume the two 300b and 2 5U4G tubes are in play when it functions as a pure power amp and thus might benefit from tube rolling, but how about the 2 6SN7 and one 6SL7 tubes... are they not involved when its run as just a power amp and not as an integrated amp?  

A follow-up to my original post.  I have been playing my new CCS Audio 1TD-X speakers (87 db sensitive with an 8 ohm nominal impedance) and the Willsenton drives them nicely at normal listening levels, but runs out of gas at higher SPL's.  No SPL limitations driving my Spatial Audio M4 Triode Masters.  I checked the bias for the second time in 3 months and it is spot on on both channels. 

I love the performance of this modest integrated than I am going to move way up the food chain of 300b amps.  More about this later when I get the new amp. 

With the right speakers, this Willsenton is way up there in the sound performance vs cost equation. Its fit and finish completely belies its cost. 

I join Charles is affirming your enjoyment of the tube amp.  I listen to mine everyday and those 300b produce a sound more to my liking than any KT88 or high end SS amps I own.  Of course you need to pair them with the right speakers.  It is a modest unit which might serve like a "gateway drug" to move on to more high-end 300b amp,  That is where I am headed.  Replacing the tubes is gonna be huge "but dart" when it is required.  Ouch!  

Musiclover,

I might be well off base, but before I went all digital, I connected my phono preamp to my Don Sachs preamp by way of one of the inputs on the Sachs preamp.  That is assuming you are using the R300 as an integrated amp.  TT > phono preamp (with no volume control) > preamp > amp > speakers.  With the R300, it would be TT > phono preamp > R300 > speakers.   I can't see why the R300 remote wouldn't  function normally. 

This is curious.  I am a Prime member and have never had a problem with a return.  Sorry to hear of your experience.